Buying Laptop - don't know what all the numbers mean

thelight01

Estimable
Mar 27, 2016
Hello,

I'm looking for a laptop that will run Assassin's Creed Origins, and The Witcher 3 at least as well as my current laptop which is the lowest setting. I've found two laptops that seem like they are an upgrade but there are so many numbers I'm not sure if they are a straight upgrade or if they are a downgrade.
Thank you.

My current laptop is a MSI GT70 with a first edition SSD.
https://www.engadget.com/2012/04/23/msi-gt70-gaming-laptop-review/

GT70 2OC/2OD
BIOS: E1763IMS.50C (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8080MB RAM
Page File: 7592MB used, 6630MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.17134.0001 64bit Unicode

1. What is your budget?
$1,650 with a sale

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
17.3 or above.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
A Whatever.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
laptop

5. How much battery life do you need?
none.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games.

Assains's cred origin's witcher 3 playable at least at the lowest settings.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
none it couldn't already handle.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
no less than my original.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
These are the two laptops I was considering. Open to suggestions.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834155076

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
until the case chips away./ 4 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
no.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
nothing flashly

13. What country do you live in?
US

Last edited:

mahardikahandoko

Prominent
Apr 22, 2018
Hello, thelight01

I think this one is better than ROG, or maybe you want slimmer laptop you can check this laptop
this laptops (even that ROG) will run AC Origins and The Witcher 3 and latest or even most upcoming AAA Games at least with high setting.

thelight01

Estimable
Mar 27, 2016
Hello, thelight01

I think this one is better than ROG, or maybe you want slimmer laptop you can check this laptop
this laptops (even that ROG) will run AC Origins and The Witcher 3 and latest or even most upcoming AAA Games at least with high setting.

The first one looks cool its a little under budget so I can get a little bit of upgrades. I also do like the sale.

even with the $200 sale the second one is over budget but I can keep my eye out on that one and see if there is any bigger price cuts but slim does not matter to me in the least because my laptop is a play anywhere at home and take it to a friend's place on occasion kind of laptop.

mahardikahandoko

Prominent
Apr 22, 2018
you can upgrade its SSDs if you need more storage for you games and i think you don't have to upgrade its RAM since its more than enough to run most games. it also kinda overkill if you only play AC Origins and The Witcher 3 :D

thelight01

Estimable
Mar 27, 2016
you can upgrade its SSDs if you need more storage for you games and i think you don't have to upgrade its RAM since its more than enough to run most games. it also kinda overkill if you only play AC Origins and The Witcher 3 :D

They are just the most demanding graphical games I own now. I will probably get Odyssey when it goes on sale and I have a long list of 40 or so games I own. I can only keep 8 or 9 installed on my current laptop.