Solved! Buying new laptop for university, need help/opinions

firekil

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Hi, I recently graduated high school and am buying a laptop that i hope will last me the next 4 years throughout university.

1_What is your budget?
Up to $1350

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Anything from 15 to 17 inches

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Nothing too low, really would prefer 1600x900 or higher, but not too picky about resolution

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Both with more emphasis on portability.

5_How much battery life do you need?
Not too little, thinking at least 3 hours idle.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes i would like to be able to play crysis on at least medium settings.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
Movies, surfing the web, music.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Doesn't matter (have external hard drive i mostly use for everything)

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
http://www1.ca.dell.com/ca/en/home/Laptops/laptop-studio-xps-16/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-studio-xps-16&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1
this is the only one I've considered yet

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
At the very least 4 years

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.
Something that's not too heavy

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I know very few brands but I am okay buying from dell and I trust most big name brands

13_What country do you live in?
Canada

If you guys could give me some suggestions or alternatives to that dell laptop I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Solution
get HP, ASUS or MSI

they have good value, and even Sager

don't get dell, just go to Hp and customize one for urself or any of the other ones, infact sager also has good customizing options.

Upendra09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
get HP, ASUS or MSI

they have good value, and even Sager

don't get dell, just go to Hp and customize one for urself or any of the other ones, infact sager also has good customizing options.

Solution

firekil

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I've done some more research and am now trying to choose between the Dell Studio XPS 16 and the Sager NP8662. They are both similarly priced but the sager provides a better processor and video card. Any thoughts?