Buying new laptop on Craigslist

Judge123

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Hello I am considering buying a laptop on Craigslist. It is Lenovo G70-80 and it is advertised as brand new and sealed. He wants $270 for the laptop it has these specs
i3-5020u
Intel HD 5500
1tb hard drive
17.3 inch screen
4gb ram

Is that a good price?
If the computer is still under the manufacturer's warranty will I also still be covered or does the warranty end when it is resold?
When I buy it should I insist that he run it before I pay or is it because it is sealed? I asked him if he would and if I could run a fur mark test to see if it stable and said he did not want to go through all the hassle. Is it fine to buy it without testing it because it is sealed? Is it even necessary to run tests like furmark?
Mainly what I am worried about is it if it was dropped while still in the package.

Thank you for the help.

Solution

Either way, you're not going to get a lot of performance out of a ~$300 laptop.

But from craigslist...you have to be REALLY careful.
"brand new and sealed" = show me the original receipt.
And don't ask for that until you actually show up. Don't give him time to fake something up.

Judge123

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
I saw that one on amazon and I thought it was the same one at first however the one on Craigslist has a Intel hd 5500 graphics card and that one on amazon has amd radeon r5 graphics card.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Either way, you're not going to get a lot of performance out of a ~$300 laptop.

But from craigslist...you have to be REALLY careful.
"brand new and sealed" = show me the original receipt.
And don't ask for that until you actually show up. Don't give him time to fake something up.

Solution

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
even if they have the receipt if they wont let you open it and turn it on to check it works walk away

not all manufacturers demand the receipt--as they can tell when it was made by the serial number

had that with acer before the item in question was a gift from a friend who had died so no way to get the receipt--in the end up they accepted that it was still in warranty by the serial number--though not every manufacturer will do it that way either

USAFRet

Illustrious

Right.
I was using "Show me the receipt" as a possible indication of where this 'brand new' thing came from. Not warranty purposes.