cables for old tv to connect to xi5 box

May 13, 2018
hi i have an old panasonic tv that has one audio input and one video input on it.. however my issue is the cable company tells me it will work with the xi5 wireless box even though there is no hdmi connection on the tv... so how does the cable company make this work... right now the ota box is connected to the tv and works perfect... i continue to be told that this will work by the local cable people.. what do they know that i do not... help please

Solution
I think he is just being dumb. the set up i sent you a few posts back should work.

this one

what you need is a hdmi to AV converter like the one i showed you before it will split the digital signal from the hdmi into video and audio. You will then need to plug HDMI in one end and power. in the other shove an RCA composite cable like this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/electrosmart-Phono-Cable-Tripl...

This has Video and two audio for left and right. If it is audio and video ports as there is just one audio port you will then need a dual rca to single like below.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Core-Single-Double-Femal...
May 13, 2018

this requires that i do this and not comcast, correct... my concern here is what if it does not work...

also why is the dude from comcast insisting to me this will work and i do not need to do anything when it is obvious that i need to do something... also this will mean that i will need to add a third outlet as this needs to be powered and my outlet in the kitchen has 2 outlets, so i need to get a 3 way power adapter for this as well so i can have 3 items plugged in at the same time... correct

is it possible to post a photo of the back of the tv so you can see and make sure of what i am saying

May 13, 2018

this tv has 3 connections, one was for the indoor antenna that currently has a connecton for the ota box with the indoor antenna being in the ota box now, one audio and one video input, they do not say like s video or anything like that, just video input and audio input...

i would love to add the photo of this tv back but i do not know the url, i emailed it to comcast and have it in an email but do not know how to add it to this

May 13, 2018

i am at work so i will try during a break, the place where i buy my tv's from mentioned something called a " video balon" i googled that and it appears it might work??? the guy from comcast emailed me again this morning and insists that it will work, i do not need an electrical adapter.... so what do you think of this thing, might that be something that comcast would have and install to make it work

gareththegiant

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015
Wow that is one old TV. First of i cant tell if those two ports at the back are left and right audio or if one is video and one audio. Can you get the TV model number i will see if i can find a manual of sorts. If one is audio and one video you can try the following.

what you need is a hdmi to AV converter like the one i showed you before it will split the digital signal from the hdmi into video and audio. You will then need to plug HDMI in one end and power. in the other shove an RCA composite cable like this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/electrosmart-Phono-Cable-Triple-Yellow/dp/B00F0NQT98/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1526365998&sr=1-6&keywords=composite+cable&dpID=31RqRBCSPOL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

This has Video and two audio for left and right. If it is audio and video ports as there is just one audio port you will then need a dual rca to single like below.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Core-Single-Double-Female-Splitter/dp/B0038A1L84

Again i have no idea if this will work with such an old tv.

May 13, 2018

this is an old tv, there are 3 connections... looking at the photo, the one all the way on the left side is where the old indoor antenna was connected that currently is where i have the ota box connected...

there are 2 other ports, one is a video input and the other a audio input... just a single one of each of these... again the cable guy ( the office guy not the installer) keeps telling me that the xi5 box will work with this tv, though i do not know how... i assume that they have a way to jerry rig this to make it work.. though the corporate social media people tell me no...

as for the model it is panasonic ct10r10r....

i would assume there is a way to get this to work without co ax cables....

as for buying a cheep tv to replace it, i need a small tv for the kitchen 10 inches is the max that will fit on the counter... i have looked and looked and found nothing....

please let me know what you think...

gareththegiant

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015
You can get a 10inch PC monitor and use that as long as it is HDMI and has speakers built in for the audio. Also has to be HDCP compliant.

Here is a little guide for that. http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-an-LCD-Monitor-as-a-TV-without-a-Computer/

as you have said it is video and audio you can possibly try the solution i outlined above with the hdmi to rca

May 13, 2018

i have to ask, and you might not know the answer.. the cable guy ( not the tech but the account executive) keeps telling me with the photo you have and he has and the info i gave to him that i gave to you as well that this box will work, i do not need to do anything, get any other adapters or parts or even get so that i can plug three things into the outlets as i have only 2 outlets behind the tv... is it possible that they have something that they are not telling me about that they do not want " corporate" to know about or is the person just plain dumb and does not want to say know and is going to leave it to the tech to do the dirty work... i can live with the ota box if i have to but prefer the xi5 wireless cable box.. i am not sure how the cable company is going to make it work with what you saw...

any ideas from there end...

gareththegiant

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015
Never mind just been reading so the xi5 wireless connect to another primary box in the house and receives the TV signals this means it does not need its own aerial. the problem you are having is going from the box to TV. Yh the cable guy either does not understand your question maybe thinking you are asking how to connect aerial to the xi5 or he is being thick. as from the pictures i have seen of an xi5 it has rj45, hdmi in, hdmi out and usb c for power.

May 13, 2018

here is the box: https://ibb.co/juqRrJ

i am not sure how the cable guy could not understand what i am asking.. i have told him at least 6 times the tv, sent him the photo, told him it does not have an hdmi connection at all and told him what the 3 connections are labeled and that it has an ota box on it now.. each email that i send him i repeat wireless xi5 box, that my tv is 20+ years old IT DOES NOT HAVE ANY KIND OF HDMI CONNECTION, it only has the singular video in, single audio in and the other connection where the indoor antenna would have connected that currently has the connection for the ota box as the indoor antenna is connected now to the ota box...

now in the box that the ota tv box came in there are 3 wires that i see would go into the back of the ota box but obviously do not connect to the tv...

i have told him the following:

i just simply do not want to disappoint her if this does not work. i took a photo, not the greatest photo of the back of the tv so you can see it in case any extra things are needed for the wireless box.. this tv is 20+ years old and works perfectly with the ota box ( except for wgn tv) the tv DOES NOT have the hdmi connections on it, it must be so old they had not yet put them on the tv.

the tv has 3 connections, one on the bottom left that was for the indoor antenna to connect to the tv that now has the cable for the ota box in it ( the antenna is now in the ota box) along with 2 input connections, one for video and one for audio. i have never used these in all the years i had the tv...

i found this brief description of the tv on line: Off white Casing Headphone Jack-Cable/Video Input plus Mono Audio/Video RCA Input

i inquired of the tv manufacturer and they advised me that they think it might need an adaptor .. this is what they told me: Since your TV has Audio/Video inputs. The adapter will have to have Outputs... also they tell me: the adapter needed
will convert the HDMI signal to the RCA inputs on the TV

i have no idea what any of this means..

anything i need to get prior to install of the wireless box onto the non htmi kitchen tv... should i get one of those things that plugs into the outlet and allows more than one thing to be plugged in, i think they call it a 3 way adapter.

i only ask as the outlet in the kitchen where the wireless box is going on the non htmi ( and coaxel free) room that does not have a connection to the cable only has 2 outlets behind the tv. one has the tv and one has the ota box.

his response to the 2 emails i sent was:

As confirmed before, our cable box will work on your TV.

so i do not know how he would not understand what i am asking....

is there something different i should be asking?????

please help, they are coming in a few days....

gareththegiant

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015
I think he is just being dumb. the set up i sent you a few posts back should work.

this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/electrosmart-Phono-Cable-Tripl...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Core-Single-Double-Femal...

Solution
May 13, 2018

i thank you, one more thing.. should i send him one more email and if so what EXACTLY should i state...

fyi: we are not supposed to be getting the wireless box at all, but i asked as it was for my kitchen and i told him that there is no co ax in the kitchen based upon where years ago they wanted to put it, hang it from the ceiling or behind the fridge which either was ugly or unsafe.. they are swapping one of the 3 wired boxes we are supposed to be getting for the wireless box... a couple of times he has asked what unit i am in so he makes sure i get that wireless box

the guy that i have purchased tv's from for over 30 years suggested the following:

we can move a signal over coax or Cat5, this requires video baluns. They then convert both ends to HDMI We DO NOT have the option of hdmi on one end & coax on the other

so again should i send this cable guy one more email and if so to make sure he understands what is there and what he needs or i need to get...