Cadillac Adds Natural Voice Recognition, Touch Gestures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Cadillac has truly stepped up not just in design but also in innovation. Ford has start taking making vehicles in N. America much more seriously. I hope this competition for quality, design and innovation keeps going.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
No, we go from listening and talking, to reading and typing, back to listening and talking again.

This has voice recognition, not just text to speech. So this reads the incoming messages, then listens to your reply, types it out for you, and then sends it off for you. Get it now?

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
overpriced electronics does not make a car better in a mechanical way...what good does it do if the engine and transmission are crap? they really need to learn from the germans when it comes to durability and dependability....also we need more cars with diesel engines not big trucks

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]overpriced electronics does not make a car better in a mechanical way...what good does it do if the engine and transmission are crap? they really need to learn from the germans when it comes to durability and dependability....also we need more cars with diesel engines not big trucks[/citation]

I am a used car mechanic with 15 years experience that works on all kinds of cars to recondition them for sale at a large California Toyota dealership and I can tell you that in spite of the rhetoric that the Germans tell you about their cars most of them are crap. Most customers trade them because they can no longer afford to maintain them beyond about 80-90,000 miles. At that mileage most of the German cars are completely falling apart with multiple expensive problems. Most of the German trade in we get we end up selling a a wholesale auction because they are too costly to repair, just the cost of brakes is more than $3000 (no exaggeration) and we would make no profit on them.

If you want real long term quality try Toyota, Honda, GM brands except Chevrolet, or some higher end Chrysler. Most of those will last you about 200k if they are well maintained, and at a price far cheaper than any Euro brand.

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]so, when will apple sue?[/citation]

Right after they patent "Driving a car" and "Talking in a car" and "Using a car radio".

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
From the screen print, you can see the large pixels in the High Definition display.... it can't be caddilac unless it really is high def... this is a wannabe low pixel count screen. I don't know what this upgrade costs, but it might be cheaper to get an Alienware M11x fully loaded and integrate it in the same space somehow and get much more bang for you buck.

G

[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]overpriced electronics does not make a car better in a mechanical way...what good does it do if the engine and transmission are crap? they really need to learn from the germans when it comes to durability and dependability....also we need more cars with diesel engines not big trucks[/citation]
Mhm, you need to buy some cars and do your research. We had a 92 Buick Park Avenue with the 3800 and 4 speed auto and it had 198k when we sold it, 100% original besides maintenance.

I had a 2001 Sable with 184k when I sold it. The engine 3.0 Vulcan V6 and AX4N tranny were in excellent condition and it still got 22+ mpg year round with my aggressive driving.

I've currently got a 2002 LS V6 with the 3.0 Duratec. 64k miles, drivetrain, interior, and body are in excellent condition and it hasn't had any major failures besides a window regulator and some damage due to a front-end collision before I bought it.

If you take good care of your cars they'll last a very long time, regardless of most branding. Stay away form obvious problems like mixed metal engines and vehicles with expensive parts (Audi, VW, etc).

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]shuffman37[/nom]Mhm, you need to buy some cars and do your research. We had a 92 Buick Park Avenue with the 3800 and 4 speed auto and it had 198k when we sold it, 100% original besides maintenance. I had a 2001 Sable with 184k when I sold it. The engine 3.0 Vulcan V6 and AX4N tranny were in excellent condition and it still got 22+ mpg year round with my aggressive driving. I've currently got a 2002 LS V6 with the 3.0 Duratec. 64k miles, drivetrain, interior, and body are in excellent condition and it hasn't had any major failures besides a window regulator and some damage due to a front-end collision before I bought it. If you take good care of your cars they'll last a very long time, regardless of most branding. Stay away form obvious problems like mixed metal engines and vehicles with expensive parts (Audi, VW, etc).[/citation]
how do you explain my 2001 vw jetta vr6 with 150k miles and no problems at all, what about my parents 1979 mercedes (diesel engine) with over 300k miles and no issues, when it come to mechanical components the germans know how to build them, like them or not they are superior....american cars are made to be replaced every 5 years....my 2009 jeep grand cherockee drives and sounds inferior when i compare it with an bmw m3 or even a vw tiguan...don't even get me started when it comes to the diesel engines

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007

I have been looking at some Mercedes, and back in 1979, the average person could do standard maintenance on them, if you buy any newer model, you pay through the noise just to do an oil change. German Engineer is not all its cracked up to be.... It still goes back to how the car is maintained by the owner, and it is so much simpler on non-german engineered cars.

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
@nebun

The late 70s early 80s diesel cars are what Mercedes built their reputation on. Sadly, they no longer make them like that.

I know a service writer at the 2nd largest Benz dealer So Cal and he has dozens of stories of customers who owned those cars and then have traded them in on a new equivalent Mercedes and how they have been so completely disappointed in their new car that they only owned for only a short time and then got rid of them for Cadillacs or Japanese luxury cars.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
2001 Passat V6, drives like an absolute dream as it gets into the 95k miles range, But with electrical problems over and over, 900$ this month to fix this, 200$ next month, 2 months later another 600$. I dropped that thing like a bad habit the day the $5 brake light module took a dump on me and the car was locked out and unable to get out of park. Decided i would rather plan on spending X amount per month instead of unplanned kicks to the groin and picked up a brand new infiniti M56. But then i have a 1999 full size chevy silverado thats currently at 189k and aside from brakes, or shocks etc it just keeps paying me.

Status
Not open for further replies.