Solved! Can I buy a gaming laptop for office productivity and video editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2020
So, I am told that you should buy a buisness laptop for the precision performance, however, I see no reason not to get a gaming laptop, as it offers better specs than the buisness laptop. My budget is $3000 and under. I am not gaming on it. ever.

im using it for MS office, web developement, premier/AE and photoshop, and a million chrome tabs :)...

So instead of getting a xps, im thinking aero or eluktroniks max laptop.

Am i correct in my assumption?

Solution
Yes, you are.

Some things to consider though that may be different on a "business" laptop:

1. Quality of build (unless you are going for a Razer or other expensive gaming brand, gaming laptops are sub par).
  2. Flashiness (some laptops are not good to bring to a meeting) - I have the Legion Y540 which is subtle enough for business.
  3. 4K screen - most gaming laptops use 1080p, but for creation, you want 4K.
  4. Storage - gaming laptops don't typically come with a big HDD, but you can always install one yourself.
  5. Keyboard - you want to make sure that you have what you need - for example, is it important to have a separate 10 key keypad? Also note that RGB pulsating lights are not necessary.
  6. RAM - most gaming laptops come with...

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Yes, you are.

Some things to consider though that may be different on a "business" laptop:

1. Quality of build (unless you are going for a Razer or other expensive gaming brand, gaming laptops are sub par).
  2. Flashiness (some laptops are not good to bring to a meeting) - I have the Legion Y540 which is subtle enough for business.
  3. 4K screen - most gaming laptops use 1080p, but for creation, you want 4K.
  4. Storage - gaming laptops don't typically come with a big HDD, but you can always install one yourself.
  5. Keyboard - you want to make sure that you have what you need - for example, is it important to have a separate 10 key keypad? Also note that RGB pulsating lights are not necessary.
  6. RAM - most gaming laptops come with 16GB...you may need 32 or even 64.
  7. CPU - depending on your apps, you may want a 6 or 8 core CPU....games usually don't benefit from this.

But in general, you are correct as long as you get the specs you need.

R

Reactions: user84564
Solution
Jun 8, 2020
Hi and thx for the detailed answer.

I am looking into aero 17 or eluktronics max17... With i7 10gen 8core, 32gb ram, 2tb ssd, rtx2070? Or similar...

About 2500$...

Seems like it will last a while...
Any comment for that config for Adobe heavy work? Thx!

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Be careful which 10th gen CPU you get...go to the intel site or look at reviews - their naming convention is VERY confusing.

Also, be cautious which RTX card you get...the 2070 Max Q is not so great, but the new "super" versions are good. Check out the reviews for all of these cards.

I am not familiar with the eluktronics model... I would check youtube reviews.

R

Status
Not open for further replies.