Question Can I hook up a PC w/VGA to LCDTV w/RGB input

merisangel

Commendable
Jul 21, 2020
I have an old Dell desktop computer that only has a VGA output and the monitor died. I want to hook it up to my 42 inch LG LCD TV that has an RGB-PC input (15 pins). I watched a YT video that said I could use a VGA/VGA male to male cable so I bought one and plugged it into the VGA out on the PC and the RGB in on the TV but I only get static after changing the input on the TV to the RGB. I tried using my laptop as it has a VGA out and hooking it up to the TV RGB port but it had the same results. Then when I tried to reconnect the old PC again now my TV won't recognize it as the RGB input is greyed out. Is this the VGA cable or do I need to get a VGA to RGB cable? Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

merisangel

Commendable
Jul 21, 2020
The TV is a LG 42LD550. I had thought about the graphics card, but I couldn't get the old monitor to work with the laptop hooked to it's VGA output so I thought it was the old monitor and not the card. How do I check the card?

Even with the laptop hooked up to the LG I get only static or the TV won't recognize the hookup to the RGB input. If I hook it up through the HDMI everything works.

I have thought about getting a VGA to HDMI cable but hate the spend the money if it doesn't work. This old computer doesn't have anything on it that I want, I had transferred all my data to my laptop but I had set it up as a gaming computer for my grandkids when they visit.

What would a new graphics card cost me? This older computer is running Windows XP. Not sure it's worth it...lol

Thank you!

Last edited: