Can I output TV sound to stereo speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeEnnis

Estimable
Aug 20, 2014
I have an old Yamaha RX730 stereo receiver. Can I output sound from my Philips TV through said receiver to my JM Lab Chorus 706 speakers.

Solution
There are a couple additional ways.

#1. (Headphone) The headphone jack may be used as an output with a conversion cord to RCA. Connect headphone jack of TV to RCA input of receiver. This would not allow for Dolby 5.1 surround. You would get a 2 channel stereo sound. I would use this as a last resort.
#2. (Optical) Depending on the age of the receiver, it may or not be equipped with an optical input. Modern models are equipped as this is the most ideal. The same is true with the TV and an optical output. I have only seen LCD and newer TV's with them. An optical cable connecting the two would give you Dolby 5.1 or better sound.
#3 (HDMI) If I am not mistaken, an HDMI jack/cable emits both audio and video signals. Again, depending on...

ien2222

Distinguished
If your TV as RCA out (red/white), then yes you can. You would simply plug it into any of the various inputs on the stereo (except phono if you have it).

After that just make sure if the TV settings that the audio out is turned on.

AudioObsessed

Estimable
Aug 12, 2014
There are a couple additional ways.

#1. (Headphone) The headphone jack may be used as an output with a conversion cord to RCA. Connect headphone jack of TV to RCA input of receiver. This would not allow for Dolby 5.1 surround. You would get a 2 channel stereo sound. I would use this as a last resort.
#2. (Optical) Depending on the age of the receiver, it may or not be equipped with an optical input. Modern models are equipped as this is the most ideal. The same is true with the TV and an optical output. I have only seen LCD and newer TV's with them. An optical cable connecting the two would give you Dolby 5.1 or better sound.
#3 (HDMI) If I am not mistaken, an HDMI jack/cable emits both audio and video signals. Again, depending on the age of the units, they may or may not be equipped with an HDMI jack.

Hope that helps.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.