Can i put an SSD in my Laptop?

Buzzkilla

Commendable
Sep 25, 2016
Okay so ive got a Dell Inspiron 13 7000 series currently with windows 10.
Ive opened it up and checkout out its components and it has a 500GB SSHD for laptops and i really want to upgrade to an SSD. However i tried to put my 240GB sandisk with windows 7 on it yet the security settings blocked it from booting?
Is it safe to buy a new SSD and chuck windows 10 on it, or is the motherboard going to block anything that isnt the SSHD?
Thanks

Solution
It could fail at the activation stage so it's better to clone the original system on to the new SSD then wipe everything except your personal files off the SSHD, making more space on it for backups, etc.

That way, you get to keep all the programmes you installed on to the SSHD. Acronis and EaseUS offer good cloning utilities.
It could fail at the activation stage so it's better to clone the original system on to the new SSD then wipe everything except your personal files off the SSHD, making more space on it for backups, etc.

That way, you get to keep all the programmes you installed on to the SSHD. Acronis and EaseUS offer good cloning utilities.

Solution
Yes a drive with a completely differnet installation of windows then what is for your laptop will almost always fail to boot.

You can either take a 500gb SSD and clone it (samsung SSDs come with a software tool for this).
You can reinstall Win 10 to a clean SSD.