Feb 2, 2018
Hello guys

I have an old HP EliteBook 8470w

its specs are:
Intel i7-3740QM 2.7 GHz
8gb DDR3 Ram
GPU: AMD FirePro M2000
HDD 500gb

My brother has been playing with it a lot in the past (which I clearly told him not to) and it had heated a multiple of times each time playing

currently when opening it at idle, there is considerable heat, not too much, but you can feel a lot of heat on the left side of the laptop (most probably the Cpu and the heat pipes lie there). I found out that the laptop is filled with dust especially in the fan and cooling area more than anything else.

It is very slow in booting up, setting up the desktop with all the icons and services. These all take a lot of time. even opening basic apps is really annoying

The ram is 8gb, do I need to upgrade it or no?

The battery only lasts for approximately 1 hour in light work. So if there is any chance to get a new battery that would be great, other than that is fine with me.

What I hope to achieve is no heat, and get fast and smooth experience in MS Office apps and internet browsing only. Also, I would like to solve the heat problem when idling.

I would prefer to spend as few as possible.

Thank you very much.

Solution
to be fair, a re-install on your current hdd would probably fix a lot of loading speed issues, as well as deleting a lot of old junk games/pics/music/videos for space.

you can install windows fresh onto a new hdd, but i would seek advice from an ssd expert as to what to do, some ssd's can be tricky.
for the heat issue see if someone has an air compressor and use the air tool to blow it out. if you want you can open the laptop if your game and repaste the cpu. for the battery there a service part number on it..google it and check on amazon for a 3 party replacment.

majed.qutub

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018

How about putting an SSD? will it be a big improvement on speed opening apps and browsing the internet ?

SoggyTissue

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
there would be a massive increase in speed of loading

BUT

do you own hard copy of windows? because if you dont, theres the issue of installing windows with your key. (which would be found on the hidden service partition of your original laptop hdd)
- one good reason a hard copy trumps restore partitions. - a disk imager may help

majed.qutub

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018

So can't I just format my whole HDD and put an additional SSD and put the windows on it ?

SoggyTissue

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
to be fair, a re-install on your current hdd would probably fix a lot of loading speed issues, as well as deleting a lot of old junk games/pics/music/videos for space.

you can install windows fresh onto a new hdd, but i would seek advice from an ssd expert as to what to do, some ssd's can be tricky.

Solution