Can I run all audio components thru TV to Receiver

annabanana714

Estimable
Nov 14, 2014
Hello,

Let me preface by saying that I don't know much about surround sound...

I have a receiver connected to wired surround sound. The things I want connected to the receiver for surround sound (and the way they are currently set up) are:

-Cable box (HDMI to TV, optical audio to receiver)
-TV (it's a smart TV so Netfilx, etc - not currently connected to receiver but has plenty of audio options)
-Mac Mini (HDMI to TV, aux to receiver)
-Wii (the regular yellow, red, white set with yellow to TV and red/white to receiver)

Here is my question: can I connect all audio from these devices to the TV then run just one optical audio cable from the TV to the receiver? I hate having so many cords and having to switch between inputs on the receiver. I would prefer just one.

I realize it would probably be easier to connect the speakers to the TV but my boyfriend loves that receiver to an unreasonable degree. It's an older receiver and I don't think that it has HDMI ports.

I don't have the exact TV model with me but it's a 55" LG LED Smart TV purchased new last year.

Thank you!
Anna

Solution
You should be able to connect the receiver with a single optical audio cable. The TV will have to output surround sound and all the inputs through this connection which some don't. Check the audio menu to make sure this option exists. The other thing is that the surround mode on the receiver might have to be changed for some of the sources to get the right surround effect.
You should be able to connect the receiver with a single optical audio cable. The TV will have to output surround sound and all the inputs through this connection which some don't. Check the audio menu to make sure this option exists. The other thing is that the surround mode on the receiver might have to be changed for some of the sources to get the right surround effect.

Solution

annabanana714

Estimable
Nov 14, 2014

Awesome, thank you!! I have seen the surround sound mode on the TV before so I'm pretty sure that would work. I'm going to buy a long optical audio cable and will let you know if it works.

Thanks again!