Can I run GTA V?

Retizao

Prominent
May 11, 2017
I have an NVIDIA GeForce laptop with an Intel i5. It's a GeForce 820m with 8 gigs of RAM. Back then when I had 4 gigs, I could run it very well in small areas like Franklin's entire neighborhood. The city gets laggy though. Would 8 gigs of RAM boost the FPS? I sorta want a straightforward answer, nothing off topic dealing with better GPUs :p
Thanks!

Chugalug_

Estimable
It will help dramatically, have you ever tried to run a laptop or PC on windows 7/8/10 with only 4GB of RAM?
After you take into account systems, anti virus and background processes the whole lot's nearly gone, and you'll get stutter central, even with a laptop.

captaincharisma

Distinguished

more ram won't help if if it's a weak CPU or GPU. especially for a graphically intensive game like GTA V

McDuncun

Honorable
May 6, 2013

That is very true but it does not take into account that the GPU is lacking and not built for gaming purposes., the low VRAM, the lod rebranded gpu from 1 GEN ago. Yes you can absolutely play games on it, I`m just saying I would be impressed if he gets at most 5 extra frames in high activity areas.

I will rephrase, yes it will improve, but in my opinion its going to be very subtle.

Getting more ram for the PC for overall multi-tasking and desktop performance,. You can never diss on that!

McDuncun

Honorable
May 6, 2013
I am willing to concede that it is indeed a good idea to get the extra ram as it`s an overall good upgrade and it can not hurt indeed, but I think the improvement will be very subtle if indeed any, but like it was stated above, it has indeed never killed anyone

bloodroses

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Solid state or platter drive on the laptop? I know with laptops they have a tendency to throw slow 5400rpm drives inside them. My Dell had a 5400rpm; which made it dog slow. When I switched to a SSD, the performance improvement was quite dramatic.

True, replacing an HDD with an SSD will help the laptop perform better, but it will have zero effect at increasing FPS when playing games, which is the issue at hand. :D

bloodroses

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013

It did in my case due to stuttering from virtual memory swaps (especially when the graphics require system RAM); but it depends on the app/game.