Can I upgrade my Portable ASUS G751JT-QH72-CB ?

JF47

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
HI,

Before I open my ASUS ROG Laptop, I want to be certain that an upgrade is possible ?

Intel Core i7 4710HQ CPU @ 2.5 Ghz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M with 3GB
32 GB of RAM DDR3L
Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB
Windows 10 Pro 64bits
17 inches Display

Thank you very much for your help.

Solution
Well first of all, you can upgrade it only with a better haswell (4***) second this is a really strong cpu, it is almost as good as the newest 6700hq so again no point for changing it. Also the HQ series are soldered on, meaning you cant change them AND even if you could, you would get no performance increase, at least not one you would notice.

Gingerbread

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
You can upgrade the CPU with a slightly higher clocked one, but you won't feel a difference. For GPU it might be possible to put gtx 980m instead but it depends if your current gtx 970m is soldered on or MxM. However the price yo uhave to pay is too high, performance boost too low. Not worth it in my eyes.

JF47

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010

HI,

Thank you for your fast response.

Are you saying that my CPU is not soldered, so I can install a new one easily?

If yes, I would like to install the latest one on the market when the prices will be more affordable.

For the GPU, I am not able to answer your question and before I put my laptop into pieces, I am waiting to see if Tom’s user already did it.

Thank you for your help and sorry for my English but it is not my mother tongue.

Gingerbread

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Well first of all, you can upgrade it only with a better haswell (4***) second this is a really strong cpu, it is almost as good as the newest 6700hq so again no point for changing it. Also the HQ series are soldered on, meaning you cant change them AND even if you could, you would get no performance increase, at least not one you would notice.

Solution