Can Nook Simple Touch show french characters?

happypooya

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Hi,

I want to know if Nook Simple Touch and other e-readers can show french and other languages letters and characters.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
French is fully supported in reading material.
But Nook Simple Touch controls only operate in English.

Unlike Amazon Kindle 6" E Ink Display which can run with operating system in French.
Plus, French is fully supported in reading material.

Some examples of supported languages include: Afrikaans, Basque, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swedish, and Turkish.

NOOK Simple Touch may support books from other languages, but only if the foreign language characters are embedded in the font library of the digital file itself or if the file is a PDF file rendered as a graphic image.

source (look under...
Hello happypooya;

Yes it does.

NOOK Simple Touch has fonts that support languages based on a Latin character set for reading foreign language books, periodicals, and other digital content.

Some examples of supported languages include: Afrikaans, Basque, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swedish, and Turkish.

NOOK Simple Touch may support books from other languages, but only if the foreign language characters are embedded in the font library of the digital file itself or if the file is a PDF file rendered as a graphic image.

source (look under Traveling > 3. Which foreign language books does NOOK Simple Touch support?):
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Support-NOOK-Simple-Touch/379003176/

happypooya

Honorable
May 30, 2012

Thanks.
So how do I know that those characters are embedded in the font library? (I mean before I buy it) and is there a way to transfer fonts to it?

happypooya

Honorable
May 30, 2012

I'm talking exactly about French. That's THE most important for me.

French is fully supported in reading material.
But Nook Simple Touch controls only operate in English.

Unlike Amazon Kindle 6" E Ink Display which can run with operating system in French.
Plus, French is fully supported in reading material.

source (look under Traveling > 3. Which foreign language books does NOOK Simple Touch support?):
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Support-NOOK-Simple-Touch/379003176/

Solution

happypooya

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Thanks. Reading in french is enough for me.

But I got myself one other question. Can't I find a Nook Simple Touch outside the US? I mean somewhere in Dubai or in London or Paris? The Product won't work outside the US or is it that just I'm not able to connect to barnsandnoble store?

Thanks.

As far as I can tell - you won't be able to order from http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ online store without a US based account.

As for availability overseas? I just don't know. I know there was some talk about expansion beyond the US. Just don't know how far along that has got.