Can this Laptop run these games?

Thomas5020

Estimable
Jun 15, 2014
Would a computer with a 2.4ghz quad-core i7-4700mq with 12GB DDR3 memory and a geforce 740M run all games medium to high settings? And what about heat issues?

Solution
The GT 740m can generally play many, but not all games with decent performance at 1366x768 resolution and medium quality settings. Click the following link to check out some game benchmark results.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-740M.89900.0.html

If playing games is your primary concern, then I recommend dropping down to a dual core CPU to afford a more powerful dedicated graphics core which will give you better game performance.

Heat depends on the specific laptop, but laptops do generally run hot when playing games.There are two things you can do.

1. Buy a cooling pad preferably one that blow air up into the vents on the underside of the laptop. Most inexpensive cool pads do not blow up, instead they blow down...

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Not a chance when it comes to new games, especially if you're looking for 1080p performance. Heat issues are entirely dependent on the design of the laptop itself, and vary from one brand/model to another. A 740M will run most games on low settings, older games on med-high. Future games will likely be an issue. What is your budget? There may be something with a more powerful card that you can get instead, but I can't be sure unless I know how much you can spend.

You should be able to run games at the settings as mentioned above for games from 2013 and before. Aas for future games you may have to lower the settings. Heat should be ok depending on the make of the laptop. Generally it shouldn't be much of a problem unless you are playing a demanding game.

Thomas5020

Estimable
Jun 15, 2014

Less than £1000

The GT 740m can generally play many, but not all games with decent performance at 1366x768 resolution and medium quality settings. Click the following link to check out some game benchmark results.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-740M.89900.0.html

If playing games is your primary concern, then I recommend dropping down to a dual core CPU to afford a more powerful dedicated graphics core which will give you better game performance.

Heat depends on the specific laptop, but laptops do generally run hot when playing games.There are two things you can do.

1. Buy a cooling pad preferably one that blow air up into the vents on the underside of the laptop. Most inexpensive cool pads do not blow up, instead they blow down trying to drag excess heat from the laptop. This is a less effective cooling method.

2. Disable Turbo Boost. This will definitely lower heat, but it also lowers performance.Therefore it may not be a "preferred" option for many gamers. This can be done in the Advanced Power Options in the Maximum CPU Performance section. For Windows 7 it was easy, just set to 99%. In Windows 8 it is different; you need to determine the actual (or close enough) % between the standard clockspeed and Turbo Boost clockspeed.

For example, my current laptop has a Core i5-4200u CPU with standard clockspeed of 1.6GHz and Turbo Boost clockspeed of 2.6GHz. To disable Turbo Boost I have to set the Max CPU performance to about 62% (1.6GHz / 2.6GHz) if it set it to something like 68% or higher Turbo Boost is still active.

CPU temps when playing games:

Turbo Boost On: 75C
Turbo Boost Off: 64C

The temps of the i7-4700MQ will likely be higher because it has 4 cores instead of 2 cores. The i7 is also not a ULV (ultra low voltage) CPU.

Solution