Candy Crush Soda App keeps growing in size, how to stop without uninstalling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim43

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I've had windows 10 for a few months now. Couple bugs here and there like certain search options were unclickable or selectable using enter after an update, had to re-index. Also, as usual with windows system restore does not really work properly.

Most recently I've noticed that the Candy Crush Soda App which was automatically installed with Windows 10, is growing in size. It doesn't seem to run as a process in the background even when not opened like some others have had a problem with. But it started as 90MB now it's up to 130MB in a couple months.

Is this because of automatic app updates? I know how to turn off all automatic updates for Apps via the Window Store, but I want some apps like my accu weather app to update automatically. I don't want Candy Crush to update automatically or whatever it is that makes it keep growing in size?

Is the justification that, these are "security" updates for this app?

Is it possible to control which specific apps update automatically, IOW turn automatic updates on/off for specific apps?

Any other suggestions as to why the app keeps growing in size? Actually a couple other apps have grown just a bit, which is understandable because I use them. But nothing like 40MB in a couple months, especially for an app that I don't even use!

I could just uninstall it but I might want to play it once in a blue moon to pass the time.

Solution

I doubt it. We don't get to control Windows Update so I doubt we would get granular control of apps.

120 gb isn't big enough for a boot drive anymore. It was the ideal size a few years ago but now its closer to 250gb. I don't have very much on my SSD, Win 10 + whatever else I have only used just over 50gb now. With 179gb free I don't feel the need to worry about losing 1gb over a...

Colif

Distinguished
having not played game myself, its possible they are new levels or something added for free.

How much space have you got on drive when a 40mb increase in file size is a concern? I could understand if it were 40gb but 40mb isn't a great deal anymore.

jim43

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I've got a 120gb samsung ssd (super fast) that somehow is only 78gb when all was said and down with the O.S., preloaded apps, and backup/recovery partitions from fresh o.s. install. So yes 40MB every month and an half is concerning to me, given that I plan to just about max out this ssd. Especially if the app growth accelerates, I'm already looking at losing 1gb/year just from that one app. Who knows what other Windows apps are going to start "growing" without me even touching them.

jim43

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Is it possible to control which specific apps get updates automatically and which don't?

Colif

Distinguished

I doubt it. We don't get to control Windows Update so I doubt we would get granular control of apps.

120 gb isn't big enough for a boot drive anymore. It was the ideal size a few years ago but now its closer to 250gb. I don't have very much on my SSD, Win 10 + whatever else I have only used just over 50gb now. With 179gb free I don't feel the need to worry about losing 1gb over a year. And that is with ignoring my 2tb storage drive

Solution

Colif

Distinguished
no, its actually mostly empty at this stage, I have 1.6tb free space on it still. One partition has only music on it, 40gb used of 964gb, the other just has crap and my documents/pictures on it. Biggest folder is steam library at 200gb. I only have a 2tb drive as it was smallest they put into my pc as a storage option

Ransome

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Just use CCleaner, it has an "Uninstall" feature which allows finding and removing of applications that otherwise cannot be removed with "Add or remove programs" (Stuff that Windows blocks from uninstalling).

CCleaner is the best tool to clean up junk, save a lot of space and provide regular maintenance.

I've personally set CCleaner to clean all the grayed-out options in Advanced and System, as well as all the browsers (except for Cookies, passwords and saved form information). However I disabled Monitoring, no need for that.
I also use CCleaner's excellent Registry fixing - which scans for issues and automatically fixes your registry in a matter of seconds.
It also has a very useful Startup tool - which allows you to disable and even delete start-up entries. Priceless.
And finally- a VERY efficient UNINSTALLER tool which shows every installed application, including some otherwise hidden Windows applications - AND allows uninstalling of everything - including these hard to get rid of apps.

Also, listen to Colif. ^^

I personally have a Crucial M4 256GB SSD (which after you install Windows, and the reserved space- you get FAR less than that) as well as a 2TB Western Digital Black HDD).
I install my favorite games on SSD (Currently Steam's MGS V and GOG's TW3) and the rest I install on the HDD (separate Steam Library). I wish I had more space to install big games on the SSD, but some of them are just too massive, or gets massive as updates are released. Like DOOM (which I have yet to install) that for some reason is 70GB ! Far bigger somehow than open worlds games such as The Witcher 3 (28GB) and MGSV (also 28GB).
Another thing that's eating up space on the SSD sometimes is Windows Restore, which I've set to 5% space out of my SSD.
However you can use CCleaner (great application) to remove old restore points - and save some space in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.