Can't change my Laptop graphics from integrated graphics...

ggates11

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
I have an Acer Aspire V15 Nitro with a very powerful i7 processor and nvidia 960m dedicated gpu. I have been having a lot of problems lately with source engine games such as CSGO and TF2, where I get very low frames down in the teens. I would say on average about 17 fps. I am pretty sure that the game is using integrated graphics to run the games by default (windows 10). Every time I try to change to the more powerful graphics in nvidia control panel, it doesnt change the performance at all. I was playing csgo and tf2 at about 150-180fps on sunday, now all of a sudden I am getting no more than 20fps. I just did a fresh install of windows 10, and all drivers are up to date. Also, It is not in power saving mode. I checked that. Any suggestions?? Thanks...

RobCrezz

Honorable
Herald
Mar 14, 2013
Install GPU-Z so you can see which GPU is getting the load on it when you run a game.

Are you playing with your laptop on a hard surface like a desk? sometimes if you play on soft surface it can suffocate the air intakes which causes it to run slow when gaming because it overheats.

ggates11

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
So I tried to use GPU-Z and it seemed like the Nvidia GPU was getting some action. I am not really sure how to use the program exactly. Also, I did a clean install of the intel graphics driver and also the realtek audio drivers. The Nvidia drivers were just installed yesterday... Still getting really bad framerate. Low 20s on medium in csgo...

ggates11

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
So it does appear that the load is on my 960m, and the temperature stays at about 54 degrees c.... Which I am pretty sure is normal. Not sure why I am still getting 22 fps

Putin You To Sleep

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
I had the same problem but with the game Overwatch, my MSI GE70 PE Apache Pro laptop reached 90 degrees c, all I did to fix it was screw open my pc and used can pressurized air to blow out the dust. After this my pc no longer overheated and it performs better, at least for a while until it gets dusty again