Can't decide between two laptops

GlockonDock

Estimable
Dec 1, 2015
Hello people!
I would want to ask some assistance on these two used laptops, there are those two Aspire laptops for relatively cheap price, one wielded with AMD N930 Quad core and HD 5650, other one with i3 380m and GT 630m, both of course have 4 gigs of ram.

I would want to pick out the best, from benchmarks I see that 630 is better but in game benchmarks like Diablo 3, I saw that 5650 came out on top, what should I choose to buy? Also the AMD quad core worked better in multicore benchmark, yet i3 380m worked better in single and some other ways... I am really confused what to get here, any help? I want the laptop to be the best for gaming and for work as well, I would want to know what laptop would get me the best frames and what's better for work also?

The laptop with 5650 is Aspire 5553G and the one packed with 1GB 630m is 5742G

Thanks for reading!

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
I would probably go for the i3. It should get you better battery life and I think the 630m will get better driver support in the future.
On the other hand, without seeing them or knowing the price, it's hard to recommend either. These are both old laptops and were budget level when they were new-unless they have been well cared for, they aren't worth much. The integrated graphics of a new laptop could probably outperform both GPUs.

GlockonDock

Estimable
Dec 1, 2015
Well, both are priced around 100 euros, of course not to be stupid, only way I would buy them is by letting the laptop sent in first before I pay. Other laptops in the same price range I see have a newer i5 or i3, yet operate on intel hd graphics, mainly 3000 which certainly doesn't outperform a 630m or 5650, can't even run Mirror's Edge at decent settings only on low and on low resolution, yet I still can't decide what runs better the 5650 or 630m, however I am starting to lean on the 630m one since even though it was hard to find some benchmarks it kind of was better than 5650, if not in one game then another, I did look at some games like Max Payne 3 being ran maxed on a 5650 which was quite surprising for such an old device, couldn't find similar one to 630m though.

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
There were at least 3 different models of the GT 630m, and it's impossible to tell which one this laptop has. It's very difficult to benchmark laptop GPUs because they vary so much from one particular laptop model to the next. I would imagine that the 630m probably has a slight performance edge, though.

GlockonDock

Estimable
Dec 1, 2015
I didn't really see any different version of the same model name, it's a GT 630m with 1 gigabyte of memory.
I assume the i3 would work better in games and interface overall?

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
There are several different chips that they labeled as GT 630m's The problem is that you cannot see which one you are getting. It makes it very difficult to directly compare GPUs because they will all have slightly different performance.
The better single-threaded performance of the i3 will usually be more useful than the extra cores of the AMD CPU.

GlockonDock

Estimable
Dec 1, 2015
It is really hard to find the equivalent model name for that laptop, only on the sale site I can see, although the selected laptop comes with 6 gigs of ram i3 380m and 630m 1gb, I could expect to see it perform somewhat well? I saw 630m being able to play for example Skyrim on higher settings than 5650 and so on, i3 also would make it a much snappier laptop when using programs, I guess I will start to lean on that laptop, I guess I could OC the model a tiny bit to reach a normal 630m statistics in case it wasn't up the bar? I am asking the seller for further details like the exact model of the laptop at the brief moment.