Can't Get Rid of Pop Ups

NewAtComputers

Estimable
Jun 21, 2014
On my computer I used to get pop ups, like malware pop ups that would pop up on literally every site. After running both Norton AND Malwarebytes hundreds of times, they were still there. I ended up having to use AdBlock Plus to stop them from occuring. HOWEVER, I just got a new pc. BRAND NEW PC. No virus, no nothing. And yet as soon as I started using the internet, I got the pop ups. So this isn't pc problem or anything it's the actual internet. Even on my phone I will get the pop ups. I've reset the router and modem both multiple times. At this point I really don't know what to do and I'm thinking of just getting a new modem/maybe router. Anyone know what the hell is going on???

LilDog1291

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Can you post an image or a screenshot so that I can see what you mean by pop ups? Are they actual separate windows that open or are they on the pages themselves? Is it any site you go to or just specific ones? For example did Tom's open any pop ups when you made this post? What web browser do you use primarily?

NewAtComputers

Estimable
Jun 21, 2014

I'll post an image shortly, but they are like ads. Like they pop up with banner like ads and the ones the are on the bottom right of the screen but they aren't ads they are like malicious type stuff, if you know what I mean. And right now, because I'm using adblock, I don't seen them but if I open up Steam they will pop up (i'll add the image). But before I used adblock it would be every page, like any webpage it would pop up. When this first happened I was using Chrome then I switched to Firefox and it still happens.

LilDog1291

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
It sounds like a piece of malware has installed itself from somewhere. Take a look at what programs you have installed by Clicking Start>Control Panel>Uninstall a Program. Sort them by the Installed On column. If you don't remember installing it then make a note of the name and Google it to see if it is a known malware program. Most Anti-Virus programs are unable to detect this sort of thing either due to the program making an exception for itself or hiding by some other means.

A couple other routes you could take are:

Option a) Reinstall Windows yourself if you bought the computer with everything pre-installed. I like to do this anyway since I don't like all the garbage software the Best Buy or similar vendors like to pre-install on all the computers that they sell.

Option b) Install Avast! Free Anti Virus. They have a function called Boot Time Scan that can detect malware that attempts to hide by scanning your computer before your operating system loads by booting into a sandboxed version of Window PE(At least I think that's how they do it). From there the scan will take several hours but I have never had it fail when I have worked on even the most virus ridden machines.

NewAtComputers

Estimable
Jun 21, 2014

See that's the problem. It isn't the hardware itself. I've had this happen to all of our laptops and each one I reinstalled Windows, but they still had the malicious pop ups. It's something to do with the internet itself. But I will try the Avast and see what happens.

LilDog1291

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
If it is on all, you could try another Router/Modem but I haven't had any inject ads into my browsing sessions in the past, nor have I heard of any that can be infected in this way. I could be wrong though and am interested to hear if that is in fact the case.

NewAtComputers

Estimable
Jun 21, 2014

I mean it's the only thing I can think of. Because this whole malware pop up crap all started after our internet provider upgraded our modem to a new and "better" one, but after we upgraded a little bit later this all started to happen. I was going to try and switch back to the old one but I can't find it and I think my dad turned it in once he upgraded. So I think I'm sol at this point. However, I am doing that boot scan right now so hopefully that does the trick, because I am all out of ideas except buying a new modem...

NewAtComputers

Estimable
Jun 21, 2014
So I did the Avast Boot Scan and I'm still getting the pop ups. So,I'm just going to get a new router, maybe router, and go from there.

Lukej32

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013

This is a longshot and unlikely, but I have heard of a type of malware that can infect a computer and change the DNS settings of a router in order to inject ads to make revenue. Hackers can also hack your router manually, made even easier if you have never changed the default password. Malware at some point is the much more likely of the two but again, even this is probably unlikely. You could log into your router by typing your gateway ip into a browser (usually 192.168.0.1) and if your router has this option, view your DNS settings, you could then contact your ISP and ask them to confirm these settings to rule this out. Again, this is a longshot but it may be worth checking out.

NewAtComputers

Estimable
Jun 21, 2014

Sadly I've already done that. I even change the DNS to a more secure one... The problem still occurs...

Lukej32

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013

I have no idea then sadly. Malware is ruled out as you used a new pc; as far as my knowledge goes, other than a form malware/adware, a malicious DNS is the only other way to inject ads I know of, but you have checked this and found no problem. Can you get a friend to connect to your internet and see if they get these pop-ups (get them to set up a virtual machine on their computer before they connect, if you know how, just in case)? Other than that a new router is probably the best idea, you can always return if it doesn't work.