Can't get sound from my PC to go through my TV receiver.

Jan 4, 2019
I have a Sound Blaster Z sound card and an optical cable connecting that sound card, in my PC, to my audio receiver for my TV's surround sound speakers.

Optical cable is plugged into the output port. I have the PC screen showing on the TV via HDMI, and I can use the receiver's speakers through the HDMI connection to the TV, which is then connected to the PC. Only the quality is much worse than it could be. And I can't get that configured for 5.1 surround sound. I have a playback device listed on my PC as "speakers" subtitle "sound blaster Z." I can set that to default audio device, my PC recognizes it as connected. I can configure it to 5.1 surround sound. All's well... only I get no sound. When I test it, I can see the green bars light up 6 times, 1 for each speaker and the sub, but I can't hear a thing.

TV is set to Audio Out (HDMI/Optical ARC) Which, based on the forums I've read, is what I want. Receiver is set to Digital Input which I am also fairly certain is what I want. However, I'm almost positive this is a problem with the TV or the receiver, which are the two variables here that I am not very good at troubleshooting. Computers I Have no problem with but after all my troubleshooting I still can't get audio out of this optical connection.

TV is an LG UHD, I have no idea how to find specific model names, which would probably help.
Receiver is a Samsung, and I also have no idea how to find its specific model name. All suggestions are welcome, I would love for my sound card to not go to waste. Thanks in advance...

Solution
run some music and disconnect your optical cable from your receiver, see if u see any light comming from it, if red light is there, all is fine from your sound card and issue is with your receiver setting

Lutfij

Splendid
It'd be a very good idea to explain how they're both connected based off the inputs and outputs on the devices. You didn't mention how you're getting audio off the HDMI cable. Is it fed to the receiver and then relayed to your TV or is it directly plugged into the TV via HDMI? Speaking of which, it's high time you find the models for both devices in your audio setup(inclusive of your speakers) for us to better understand what you're dealing with and guide you in the right direction if you're on the wrong path.

Speaking of path, did you set the optical audio out as default and not have HDMI as your default audio output? Are you suing Creative's app to manage the audio output and settings or are you dealing with Windows Audio Manager?

There's also a difference between an HTS(Home Theater System in a box) when compared to a receiver.

robert600

Distinguished
" I have a playback device listed on my PC as "speakers" subtitle "sound blaster Z." I can set that to default audio device, my PC recognizes it as connected."

This doesn't seem like the correct setting - don't you want to use the optical cable (not speakers)?

kerberos_20

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
well i have sound blaster z too
soundblaster speakers is correct settings

in default settings analog (pcm) signals are sent to analog ports (3.5mm jacks) and digital signals (dolby/dts) are sent through optical tosslink

in order to use analog signal over your optical cable, u will need to go to soundblaster control panel and ander advanced features mark up "play stereo mix to digital output"
or enable dts/dolby encoder on cinematic tab

Jan 4, 2019

I did explain how the HDMI connections were working. And also, the HDMI connections don't matter. I need to get my Optical connection going from my PC to my receiver working. That's where the problem is.

And yes, speakers "sound blaster Z" is definitely the right device, but even so, I tried all the other devices in my playback list, and they all play no sound except for my TV. But again... I want sound from my receiver's speakers.

Jan 4, 2019

Good call. I just did both. however stil lthe same problem, device is recognized but plays no actual sound when I test it. A few questions however...
Should I do just one or the other? or do I need both marked up? Also, if I try to test the "digital output" device in my playback list, I am notified that it is being used by another device. I have a feeling that device has to do with some other programs I have that are irrelevant here, but I thought I Should at least mention it.

kerberos_20

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
run some music and disconnect your optical cable from your receiver, see if u see any light comming from it, if red light is there, all is fine from your sound card and issue is with your receiver setting

Solution
Jan 4, 2019
Light coming from what? The soundcard? I have moved my PC back to my monitor since I didn't have sound. I know that there was no light whatsoever when I plugged my optical cable into the output port on my sound card. I will move it back tonight to check. Thanks for the reply.

Jan 4, 2019
Well the sound card itself is lit up. Lots of fancy red lights that shine on the inside of my PC. and some of that gets through to the port when my optical is plugged in. However, the other end of the optical cable does shine red light on the tip, when I unplug it from my receiver and look at it. Which should mean the soundcard connection is just fine, correct? also, when my cable is plugged into the input port on the receiver, and I unplug the end that in my PC's sound-card, there is no light coming from that end.

Running music does not change any of this. The lights show up as described, even if no sound is playing.

Is there any way to post pictures? I have some if you are still confused about where the light is coming from.

I'm going to work on finding out what models exactly my TV and receiver are, since that's where the issue seems to be. Thanks for the reply.

Jan 4, 2019
Receiver is a Samsung 5.1 Surround sound system. Model Number: HT -J4500
it sets itself to Digital Input whenever I turn on my PC. And the sound card's optical cable is plugged into the receivers input port, so I assume that is correct. The receiver is also connected to my TV via HDMI.

TV is an LG smart LED UHD. Model Number: 55UF6450. I have the TV's sound setting on Audio Out (HDMI/Optical ARC). Please let me know if that's not right.

As of right now, I can get sound if I use the TV as my playback device on my PC. Which essentially just uses my receiver through its connection to the TV, which is not ideal, because I cannot configure that connection for 5.1 surround sound. I need to get the optical connection between the receiver and the PC working. While I also have a picture on my TV.

I also thought that perhaps the receiver was thinking of the HDMI connection to the TV with its digital input setting. So I tried testing the PC sound after disconnecting the HDMI, so that the Optical connection with the soundcard is the only connection going in or out of my receiver, (other than the speakers, ofc).
And it...

WORKED!
I have the 5.1 surround sound configuration working. Thanks for all the help fellas.