Can't Get sound on my TV when connected to my laptop with HDMI cable

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cara_M

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
I have my laptop (HP) connected to my Sony TV with an HDMI cable.

It used to work perfectly. I still get the picture, but no sound.

I tested the HDMI cable, and it's good. I tested the computer and hooked it up to my other (Samsung) TV with the same HDMI cable, and both picture and sound worked perfectly.

Then, I tested my Sony TV by hooking up my tablet to it and picture and sound worked perfectly.

Then I went back to connecting my HP laptop to the Sony TV and tested the sound in the control panel, and the sound from my computer came out of the Sony TV perfectly. So, why can't I get sound on the same TV when I try to watch a video from the laptop?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I thought you had already tried setting your default audio to the Sony TV. Nevertheless, you got it sorted out.

The thing you want now is not possible, at least as far as i know. I don't see the reason for it. Two devices playing the same sound...it will echo.

vinzc

Estimable
May 22, 2014

hey cara tell u wat...u cant really have both sounds in your laptop and tv when you are on hdmi audio output... its either you remove the hdmi if u want to have a sound in ur laptop or connect the hdmi to the tv and the sound will come out out in ur t.v

Jack_N

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014

I had the same issue. To fix:

• Control Panel, Sound, Manage Audio Devices
• The Sound box will pop up.
• On the payback tab you should see two icons. One for your laptop speakers, one for the external monitor/TV.
• Double click on the Laptop speakers, then click "Set Default" button on the bottom.
• The Laptop Speakers will be "Checked".
• Select OK and exit.

porge

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014

Thanks Milan7! The solution worked. Now laptop has sound and TV/video/HDMI connected has sound. No switching back and forth. It was a little bit more involved but I muddled through it in small amount of time. Also I had two 24 bit studio quality sounds to choose between. I clicked the second. Worked fine

Gabriel Eduardo

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014

Hello there!. I had the same problem, and found the solution. The reason why the sound used to came out of your Sony TV perfectly and now it doesn't is because you probably updated your graphics card drivers lately. The moment you did that, was moment when your Sony TV (probably a little old as mine is) stopped working, and that is probably because the new driver update for your graphics card does not support your old TV (that is the reason why it keeps working in the other new Samsung TV). Fortunately, a recent package of updates came out for windows, so if you install those updates, the old TV will be supported once again by your lap top.

Try it and tell me if it works, it did for me :).

Cheers and good luck.

abduligator

Estimable
Dec 7, 2014
I was having the same issue as everyone else and tried everything to no avail. This is what worked for me.
-Open your control panel and go to sound.
-The first tab is "playback" right click in the box under where you speakers are displayed.
-Click on "show disabled devices" Now my tv pops up in the menu
-Click enable and you should be go to go, instant sound from my tv

Purplshuga

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
For Windows 8 - right click on speaker on task bar, (left click) select playback devices, now right click on the speaker and select Show disabled devices and/or disconnected devices. click apply and OK.

celia785

Estimable
Mar 1, 2015

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Your answer to him help to solve the problem I was having. Thanks.

bannotti

Estimable
Apr 9, 2015

ok, so i have my tv plugged in to hp laptop via hdmi i have a picture but no sound, i cant even find the hdmi or the tv through the control panel or even Beats audio?

bannotti

Estimable
Apr 9, 2015
found my problem
• on your task bar (bottom right) is a speaker icon. right click and select playback devices (if there is no tv option right
• click on the speakers and select disabled devices it should be there?)
• click on tv link the "set default dropdown" should illuminate at bottom of page
• click and select "default communication device"
• now apply!

job done

Gfur

Estimable
Apr 20, 2015

Thank you, this was the answer for me. Greatly appreciated.

Hugh Vallance

Estimable
Apr 22, 2015

It used to work perfectly. I still get the picture, but no sound.
I tested the HDMI cable, and it's good. I tested the computer and hooked it up to my other (Samsung) TV with the same HDMI cable, and both picture and sound worked perfectly.

Then I tested my Sony TV by hooking up my tablet to it and picture and sound worked perfectly.

Then I went back to connecting my HP laptop to the Sony TV and tested the sound in control panel, and the sound from my computer came out of the Sony TV perfectly. So, why can't I get sound on the same TV when I try to watch a video from the laptop?

didd

Estimable
May 25, 2015

Tried all the different options suggested and this was the only one that worked. Thank you so much!

Rolo69

Estimable
Jun 21, 2015

I had the same problem so bought a NEW hdmi cable from poundland of all places and its solved the issues.

Greg Hinkle

Estimable
Jul 1, 2015

You need to either disable or unplug your internal computer speakers.
Most likely disble for a laptop.
Control panel=>Hardware & Sound=>Sound=>Right click on speakers (for right handers),click disable.
Make sure your devices are not set to "hide disabled devices" so you can find them again.

Satish Dubey

Estimable
Jul 9, 2015

This solution is worked for me.....thnks to original author...

Zenkai2113

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
I figured it out. You have to go to your play back in manage sound. Right click then disable all devices and then when you do that right click and go to show all disabled devices and it will click on your TVwhen it pops up. It will bring up and the bottom of the page about devices and click enable devices. Hope it helps

boopityboop

Estimable
Aug 30, 2015

1. Go to control panel
2. Hardware & Sound
3. Click on Sound, pop up will bring up the audio devices associated with your computer. If you cannot see the audio device you would like to use, left click and check off "show disabled devices". You can enable the device by left clicking on it.
4. From here you can choose a default audio. I found that after changing my default to an alternate source it did not switch immediately. I had to disable the device being used. It automatically switches to the remaining option after that.

Jose_4

Estimable
Sep 5, 2015
GO to the sound icon on your left side of the screen and left click it. You will see playback device click it. there should be an icon that says ATI HDMI Output click it and set it to default. If you don't see it then left click on speakers and dual headphones and click on show disconnected device.

Status
Not open for further replies.