Can't Get sound on my TV when connected to my laptop with HDMI cable

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cara_M

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
I have my laptop (HP) connected to my Sony TV with an HDMI cable.

It used to work perfectly. I still get the picture, but no sound.

I tested the HDMI cable, and it's good. I tested the computer and hooked it up to my other (Samsung) TV with the same HDMI cable, and both picture and sound worked perfectly.

Then, I tested my Sony TV by hooking up my tablet to it and picture and sound worked perfectly.

Then I went back to connecting my HP laptop to the Sony TV and tested the sound in the control panel, and the sound from my computer came out of the Sony TV perfectly. So, why can't I get sound on the same TV when I try to watch a video from the laptop?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I thought you had already tried setting your default audio to the Sony TV. Nevertheless, you got it sorted out.

The thing you want now is not possible, at least as far as i know. I don't see the reason for it. Two devices playing the same sound...it will echo.

rakun

Estimable
Sep 5, 2015
I am also having the same problems as the original poster. I have HP laptop with windows 8 and a Sony TV. Anytime I try to play a video online (such as Amazon Prime video), my sound does not play through the tv. However, when I play video through my Netflix app, the sound does play through the TV automatically. How do I need to change my settings so that sounds from my internet browser play through the TV?

NoobXaibot

Estimable
Sep 20, 2015
I know this thread is solved but I just had the same problem. What worked for me is resetting audio devices under device manager then lowering the pc sound all the way and back up again. From an iBUYPOWER to a Sony 65". Hope that helps for anyone with more issues!

Newton_1

Estimable
Oct 15, 2015
Thank you for this. It solved my problem.

Romeyn

Estimable
Oct 16, 2015
Same problem, but eventually I solved it and I hope this helps. Went to control panel. Click "Hardware and Sound" then click on "manage audio devices" this will bring you to Playback and select a "device" on there and right click any device and make sure it has "all devices" because mine was hidden (speaker and headphones was there; communications headphones was there, but HDMI was not) and I had to connect that way.

Hope this helps Win 7 PC

flabia910

Estimable
Nov 20, 2015
Hi All,

This is how I solved the same problem:

1. Hook up PC to TV
2. Open DEVICE MANAGER by either searching for it on the search panel or control panel>>system and security>>system>>device manager
3. In device manager select SOUND, VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS and a drop down list should appear
4. In the list the audio system for the PC should be one option and another option should be the audio system for the TV (mine was Intel (R) Display Audio)
5. Select the audio system for the TV and right click
6. Select ENABLE
7. Now audio from the TV should be working.
8. To double check open playback devices by right clicking in speaker icon on taskbar. The PC audio system and the TV's audio system should be displayed with green check mark on TV audio system.

Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem

raymen

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
Windows 10,
Control panel -> Sound -> Playback Tab -> right click on any of the devices and select "Show disabled devices"
Then most probably you will see "Digital Audio(HDMI)" and you have to set it as default. Confirm with "OK" and test it with youtube or some player on your PC.

mamadta

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
I think I have found the final and last recourse solution.

Just turn off your pc before connecting it to the TV; then and first, connect the HDMI to TV and PC, here is the important thing to do, you should NOT turn on your PC before turning on your TV. So, first, turn on your TV, then select the channel related to that HDMI input connected to PC, then and now turn on your PC. This way the audio works on TV.

cidub82

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017
I have had the same issue with no audio on my TV when an HDMI to my Dell laptop while the laptop was still on. Video would come through fine, just no audio.

My work around was to restart my computer while the HDMI was connected to the TV, but this got annoying.

I have tried other peoples solutions of: right-click on volume adjust icon > click Playback devices > and chose the TV, but mine was never listed, and yes I tried right-clicking on the window and selecting Show Disconnected Devices and Show Disabled Device, but still no TV.

My solution I found was by hitting: Windows key + X > opening Device Manager > click drop down on Sound, video and game controllers, the High Definition Audio device tab had a yellow warning triangle on it. I doubled clicked it for info and it indicated that the device had no power. I right clicked on the High Definition Audio Device tab and disable it, then enabled it again, and all was fixed.

So my solution: Windows key + X > Device Manager > Sounds, video and game controllers > right click High Definition Audio Device > Disable High Definition Audio Device > the re-enable High Definition Audio Device.

Status
Not open for further replies.