Solved! Can't get wireless card to install

pg07143

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
I have a Dell Latitude 600 that I just got in to refurbish. I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled XP Pro SP3. I installed most of the drivers without a problem until I tried to install the wireless network card. It was an Intel 2200BG. The laptop froze up every time that I attempted to install the drivers that I downloaded from support.dell.com (I entered the service tag to be sure that only the proper drivers were installed). I removed the card from the machine and installed it in another D600 that I have sitting around and it worked like a charm :??: . OK - so I get a broadcom WLAN card (known to work in D600) and attempt to install the drivers for that and I get some really strange results. Most of the time, it's as if I never installed the driver (still getting error in device manager and 'This device is not configured properly. (Code 1)' error message for device status. A couple of times the drivers appeared to install correctly and I was able to make a wireless connection. HOWEVER on both occasions the driver installation appeared to be backed out upon the next reboot (error in device manager).

I am going nuts over this issue. Is this a hardware problem? Software?? Can anybody help me?

Solution
Sounds like a hardware problem, since you were able to use the card on another unit. The bad news is that your issue could be with the motherboard. For now I guess you have to rely on a WiFi dongle, until you can get someone from Dell to look into the mobo.

r_manic

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Sounds like a hardware problem, since you were able to use the card on another unit. The bad news is that your issue could be with the motherboard. For now I guess you have to rely on a WiFi dongle, until you can get someone from Dell to look into the mobo.

Solution