Review Carbonite Safe cloud backup review

May 31, 2021
Carbonite is easy to use for backup. It is horrid to depend on it for a restore in the event of a drive failure. The app take as much as TWO MONTHS to restore your system and you can only restore from the last backup. Don't want to wait? Pay them $99 and they will make a drive and send it to you within TWO WEEKS for you to restore on your own. Just want to restore files? There is a 10G limit! Support is useless. My system stopped the restore three times and had to be restarted. Support just looked at logs and restarted... No solutions. Takes forever to get to the right support personnel.

laserdevil

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
One of my clients has this product and we needed to upgrade the plan. The support is terrible. I have been calling for the upgrade for more than a month now. Tech support cannot help me (only people I could get in touch with) because the account manager needs to make the changes. After a few calls, one of the tech support told me how to upgrade the portal itself. When I did that ($1200 for the year for one of our servers), it told me that I don't have the written version. I really don't know what to do with this dam company. The client does not want to use anyone else. This is crazy.

Jul 25, 2023
One of the things this review missed was that Carbonite, for the standard plans home users usually use, limit the file size to 4GB. These days that's pretty small. Even the 100GB limit of the Plus & Prime plans is small. I have VM & virtual drive files larger than 100GB, and so Carbonite can't back those up. One also finds, as did the reviewer, that Carbonite is very slow. You can have a 1Gbps connection and it will still only restore at about 1-2MB/sec (1-2 Mbps). The fact that they throttle so much makes Carbonite useless except for limited file restores.

Carbonite PlansFile Limits
Safe Basic4GB (Excluding .PST files)
Safe Plus100GB (Excluding .PST files)
Safe Prime100GB (Excluding .PST files)
Safe Core1TB (Excluding .PST files)