Cards Against Humanity Donates $70,000 to Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The should have been "graduated FROM college". Apparently, they didn't take English.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]SethmeisterG[/nom]The should have been "graduated FROM college". Apparently, they didn't take English.[/citation]
They*
Also, you don't put a double space after a period. Evidently, you didn't take English either.

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Hey, I've donated to Wikipedia because I both use and contribute content. Wikipedia IMHO is the best single online source for information that is concise, organized, and up to date plus it's ad-free.

So kudos to Cards Against Humanity and many thanks! :)

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Its sad that many teachers still complain about Wikipedia. In my college they won't allow you to quote from them nor paraphrase their information because "Anyone could have edited that information and changed it"

So I explained to them that those times have changed and as of right now the Data on that site is governed and watched over by the worlds top minds - as oppose to those secondary sites that you refer us too that haven't been updated in years. Besides, the information provided on Wikipedia is cited - if it isn't, than don't use it.

Honestly, I believe its just frustrating teachers that todays generation is able to get the needed information extremely quickly.

I see this as opportunity, its amazing and great that a student can do their "research assignment" in a short amount of time because of the resources on the net. Resources out of a book are outdated, what we knew 5 years ago may have changed and the internet provides us with evolving information that changes when new discoveries are made.

For example, a book at the college explains how the saliva in a Komodo Dragon is just packed with bacteria which causes death whereas recent studies have shown that it does indeed have a venom. Now if I read that book and used that book - i'd be sharing wrong information with everyone in the class.

People have to move with technology. The internet is a steaming bag of raunchy crap and golden nuggets. Just have to sift through the crap to find the nugget - which isn't too hard today.

Thanks Wikipedia for providing us with information that continues to astound me and will continue to do so for the rest of my life (which should be relatively short because 10% of the world thinks it will end in 3 days... christ..)

Cheers.

wannabepro

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]-Jackson[/nom]They*Also, you don't put a double space after a period. Evidently, you didn't take English either.[/citation]
You are wrong. It is two spaces after a period.
Not only does two spaces after a period easier to read, but it has also been that way since the days of the typewriter.
Anyone who thinks otherwise is ignorant.
APA's view on the matter:
"Space twice after punctuation marks at the end of a sentence." (Version 6, page 88)
Source: College Student with an A in English.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]You are wrong. It is two spaces after a period.Not only does two spaces after a period easier to read, but it has also been that way since the days of the typewriter. Anyone who thinks otherwise is ignorant.APA's view on the matter:"Space twice after punctuation marks at the end of a sentence." (Version 6, page 88)Source: College Student with an A in English.[/citation]
Well where I live, I've learned that it's actually one space and not two.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I don't know that company, but I'm beginning to think they're brilliant. Their sense of humour is... compatible... with mine.

crystalized

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]You are wrong. It is two spaces after a period.Not only does two spaces after a period easier to read, but it has also been that way since the days of the typewriter. Anyone who thinks otherwise is ignorant.APA's view on the matter:"Space twice after punctuation marks at the end of a sentence." (Version 6, page 88)Source: College Student with an A in English.[/citation]

because everyone uses a typewriter nowadays

G

Good lord! At this time and age.... People are arguing about spaces between periods/full-stops... As long as it is legible and concise.... Kids these day's... THEY ARGUE OVER ANYTHING! You remind me of my 8 and 11 kids arguing over infantile things... But you see "ADULTS" arguing over such things... Then it makes them look like RETARDED PILLOCKS..... Sad to say....

arnoldlouie

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Grammar and space is the issue here, It has everything to do with the article. BTW i'd like to upgrade my typewriter to windows 8. (Using double spaces, since I'm using a typewriter.)

wannabepro

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]crystalized[/nom]because everyone uses a typewriter nowadays[/citation]
History and culture my friend, history and culture..

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I don't really know why Wikipedia doesn't just use ads.

I don't want flash, java, javascript, or picture ads, but putting a small plaintext advert out of the way somewhere should go a long way towards monetary support.

Base the advert on the article being viewed and the person reading would be much more likely to click the ad. It seems like a perfect opportunity being wasted.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]Its sad that many teachers still complain about Wikipedia. In my college they won't allow you to quote from them nor paraphrase their information because "Anyone could have edited that information and changed it"So I explained to them that those times have changed and as of right now the Data on that site is governed and watched over by the worlds top minds - as oppose to those secondary sites that you refer us too that haven't been updated in years. Besides, the information provided on Wikipedia is cited - if it isn't, than don't use it. Honestly, I believe its just frustrating teachers that todays generation is able to get the needed information extremely quickly.I see this as opportunity, its amazing and great that a student can do their "research assignment" in a short amount of time because of the resources on the net. Resources out of a book are outdated, what we knew 5 years ago may have changed and the internet provides us with evolving information that changes when new discoveries are made.For example, a book at the college explains how the saliva in a Komodo Dragon is just packed with bacteria which causes death whereas recent studies have shown that it does indeed have a venom. Now if I read that book and used that book - i'd be sharing wrong information with everyone in the class. People have to move with technology. The internet is a steaming bag of raunchy crap and golden nuggets. Just have to sift through the crap to find the nugget - which isn't too hard today. Thanks Wikipedia for providing us with information that continues to astound me and will continue to do so for the rest of my life (which should be relatively short because 10% of the world thinks it will end in 3 days... christ..)Cheers.[/citation]

wikipedia also censors its content too.
hart fisher
apparently most things he touched they wont allow on Wikipedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.