Carmack: App Store Is 'Model of the Future'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oncall

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Why is everyone steamed (pun intended) Carmack didn't go out of his way to mention it like Steam is paying his salary and deserves mention? Did anyone actually read the original interview? Apparently not. Outside computer video gaming circles most people have no idea what Steam is or does. The interview was for the Telegraph after all with a primary focus on Carmack porting Rage to the iOS platform. The whole distribution thing was thrown in at the end so why Carmack would spend time going over the entire history of online game distribution is beyond me.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]iphone girl[/nom]People want to give Steam all the credit well Itunes was around before steam. So it was an electronic download model even before Steam. Steam does not have the momentum that the appstore does either so why would it be a model anyone would want to model? You 12-20 year old kiddies need to get a clue. Carmack > All of you[/citation]
Irrelevant because the iTunes Store wasn't the first digital media store also.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]Let's compare the programs/apps found in iOS and Ubuntu.App Store:85% - Apps that do not work and costs good money10% - Apps that work, but sucks and costs a buck1% - Apps that have a meaning or is actually fun4% - Paid apps that will never be used after you buy themUbuntu Software Centre:>99% - Programs that work and serves a good purpose and is free[/citation]
Yes, and you are a moron :)

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I don't get why people are so excited every time Carmack speaks. I can't think of a single id game I've thought was all that great since Quake 2. Everything since then that they've churned out has been pretty 'meh' to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.