Catholic Church Approves iOS Confession App

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xantek24

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
lol! its an endless loop between that app and an iphone....you can wash away your sins but as soon as you close the app you've already sinned again!!!

dillyflump

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
It's not about bashing religion, as an athiest and a being of concious mind, I simply don't find I need to follow a written book to fulfil or govern my life. Instinctively I know right from wrong, thats the purpose of having good parents to teach you to the point where your able to make your own decisions in life. No one knows for certain and probably never will if god or gods exist until the point after death and no one has returned to life after being brain dead to tell us otherwise. Science can explain most things, but in my opinion will have create difficulty if not imposibility in proving whether or not god created the universe and everything in it. The universe, the mind and human beings are all made of the same atomic matter and elements, for scientists to think out of the box and find out what was there before the creation of the universe and time will be a nigh on impossibility, because our very knowledge of science is based on the physical and what exists today.

ragingmercenary

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
[citation][nom]glennster68[/nom]And equating teaching Creationism in schools to the abortion debate just shows how prejudiced you are against people of faith and their views. Try thinking critically on each topic at hand, without just jumping on the talking points from either side.[/citation]

Your right, I am prejudiced against my tax money being spent in schools so that children can be taught an ancient Hebrew myth on the same level of legitimacy as Darwin's natural selection and the Big Bang Theory. You want me to think critically of each topic. OK.

Creationism (Intelligent Design): the theory that an intelligent designer created everything that we see today, including the universe and all its inhabitants. Most children are taught that things we observe, such as a hammer, are designed with a purpose (to drive in nails.) This assignment of purpose to a design is something that works for man-made objects, but do not hold up to the complexities of life. Extending this illusion that something was "made" so that it could fill a "role" does not explain half the things we see (what are black holes made for? What are tornadoes made for? What is electricity made for? In addition, if you wanted to extend this assignment of purpose to everything, you would eventually have to work your way to God itself. You would have to say that God was designed so that he could design everything else. But that then begs the question, what designed God?

Abortion: Just because I am pro-choice doesn't mean that I would let everyone have an abortion just because they feel like it. When you talk of abortion, you have to be aware that there is a struggle between the rights of the unborn and the rights of the mother. Roe v. Wade affirmed that an unborn fetus is guaranteed constitutional rights. But they also said that the issue of abortion lies within the realm of "privacy" in which the government can not interfere unless either's rights are being violated (same goes for marriage, domestic abuse would warrant intervention.) If a consensual pregnancy were to take an unexpected turn for the worst and it was likely that the health of the fetus would affect the health of the mother, you have to decide whose rights take precedence in this case, no matter which side you argue. If your pro-life, then you say that the fetus' rights are more important and that you do not have the ability to infringe those rights to abort it. However, I believe that the rights of the mother take precedence when her life is threatened by the health of the fetus. Also, in the case of rape and incest, you must be truly Christian if you believe that someone should shoulder the burden of a pregnancy that they themselves never agreed to.

Is that enough thinking for you?

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Why is it acceptable now to use man-made objects when everything about Christianity is so against "free will"? Applying the same logic, couldn't I just also say "what is atheism made for" without demonizing people? This baffles my mind.

ragingmercenary

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Tmanishere[/nom]Why is it acceptable now to use man-made objects when everything about Christianity is so against "free will"? Applying the same logic, couldn't I just also say "what is atheism made for" without demonizing people? This baffles my mind.[/citation]

I'm having trouble understanding what you're trying to say, but I will try my best to respond. The notion that you can trace the existence of a supernatural deity by saying that he was necessary to create everything is self-defeating and false. That's why it would be wrong to ask "what is _____ made for?" since it assumes that everything needs a creator. I'm not sure what you were trying to get at when you questioned using "man-made objects" when "everything about Christianity is so against 'free will.'" Maybe you can clarify that for me.

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I was just commenting on the fact that Christians often demonized everything we take for granted today. Things like astronomy, chemistry, and rock music (Christian rock?).

In my view, religion does good things for people, but I just don't think it's necessary to love one another without having "faith" in a supernatural deity.

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people." -Karl Marx

G

it banned update toms, lots of love.
http://theappwhisperer.com/2011/02/10/vatican-bans-ios-confessional-app/

candrwhite

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
After reading many comments from those who believe in God, and those who don't... I have concluded that neither is going to change their mind. Nothing anyone says will make a difference. It's easy enough to come back at any point being brought up, with a counter point the the other side will never accept as true.

So all this typing, logic, and insulting seems very futile to me. You're simply arguing in circles.

jm0rr0w

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]Tmanishere[/nom]I was just commenting on the fact that Christians often demonized everything we take for granted today. Things like astronomy, chemistry, and rock music (Christian rock?). In my view, religion does good things for people, but I just don't think it's necessary to love one another without having "faith" in a supernatural deity. "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people." -Karl Marx[/citation]

Yes, there are many things about religion that are hypocritical, contradictory, and outright false.

Status
Not open for further replies.