Cell Phone Insurance Plans Compared: What's Worth It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert123_74

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
“I never go anywhere without my phone. If I do, it's a mistake, and I instantly feel naked without it.”

That’s probably two of the saddest sentences I’ve read this year.

dbrees

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
I have Sprint and pay $11/month per device. My wife and I both have S4's and when the charging port on her phone went out there wasn't a deductible at all.

agoldenlife

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
I have Sprint and pay $11/month per device. My wife and I both have S4's and when the charging port on her phone went out there wasn't a deductible at all.

This is sad people. Peace of mind? So by year one you have paid out $264! Sounds like you will pay for repairs whether you need them or not. Here is a good idea pay yourself $22 a month, and when you need repairs pull it from your savings account.

All of these things are scams! They make off like bandits and for what? You are essentially handing out free money to these companies. The percentage of claims is minimal. The fact that 3rd parties, who absolutely no stake in you or your devices is willing to "insure" these things should send up some red flags!

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Just read through the AT&T plan. No interest in getting it, but they have a declining deductible policy which isn't mentioned in this article. For tier 3 devices, if you go 6 months without a claim, the deductible drops to $149. If you go 12 months, it drops to $99. So the 24 month total cost for one claim could be as low as $267.

I lost my S4 and replaced it for $199 under the ATT policy. Insurance is a personal choice; the risk-averse take it and the risk-neutral do not.

In 1977 I got $750 Frejus bicycle. I took out valuable-article insurance on it. Then I rode with peace of mind: if it was stolen while locked up outside, or hit by a car without me being seriously damaged, I can afford repairs or a new one. That was a lot of money to me back then. It went through four years of college with me.

Colin Lee

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

+1 to this.

All insurance is a gamble.
And why are people paying anything in the 1st year? You're covered by warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.