Cell Phones Aid in Arrests of Vancouver Rioters

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peterson99

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
cough.. cough... weaselmasher ..cough ..troll

Canada's Radio Act requires that "a licenser may not broadcast ... any false or misleading news." The provision has kept Fox News and right-wing talk radio out of Canada and helped make Canada a model for liberal democracy and freedom

copy and pasted...... try to at least google it before you talk!

G

[citation][nom]pythonic13[/nom]This is after the Vancouver government decided to close all bars and LCBO's at 4pm in order to prevent riots...... gee that worked well.[/citation]

I think I saw that in an episode of Blue Mountain State. You dont cut off the booze to prevent riots, you increase it so the population is so drunk they can barely move. By closing the bars they just guaranteed the rioters would not be impaired!

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]thisguyisanidiot[/nom]"Hate to bust your bubble, but NewsCorp/Fox News are Australian, not American."Nope. Show me the source of wherever you picked up that horrendously retarded statement please.[/citation]

Well, here they are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_Corporation#cite_note-0
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3953407.stm

Founded in Adelaide, Australia in 1979 and move it headquaters to the US on November 12, 2004

Honestly, i thought fox/new corp. was a us base the entire time. Only a 2 min look on google can change that around quickly

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=fox+news+wiki#pq=fox%20news%20history&hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&authuser=0&cp=6&gs_id=47&xhr=t&q=news+corp+history&qe=bmV3cyBjIGhpc3Rvcnk&qesig=MaXkGNURhgk4W3iwkX3kyA&pkc=AFgZ2tnLtC-HHPNav9rDlbLq_x8qpi8wlLfxnYfxutF7uZI3WiFYphQfQFDQ1_cR_abufqKbF0lXIEdYOZnsgYcWYinelixxWA&pf=p&sclient=psy&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=news+c+history&aq=0c&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=cc8abff2d1e78be6&biw=1366&bih=643

mcvf

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]cybr[/nom]That make love, not riots pic is outstanding.[/citation]
I like how police seems to clean place for those two and turned their back to them as a courtesy. Very funny picture, indeed!

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Canadians are a peace-loving people, but you definitely wouldn't know it going by the response of a rotten few after final playoff game last night in Vancouver.
every one along the canadian border states knows there's 2 thing you don't mess with canadians about #1 don't mess with their beer #2 hockey is a national passion.
i'm guessing the city decided not to beef up police partols like most cities do when their home town teams get into playoff's in any major sport. hope they learned their lesson

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
As a Canadian I thought this was pretty embarrassing, I really hope they prosecute the ones involved in this. I think the NHL and NBA are rigged anyways...but that's besides the point.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
A Facebook page called “Vancouver Riot Pics: Post Your Photos” allows people to upload pictures of rioters so that police may identify and arrest the criminals. So far, the page has amassed over 34,000 "Likes".

A young Vancouver man also quickly set up a Tumblr blog called Vancouver 2011 Riot Criminal List, which serves the same purpose.

I think that young Vancouver man should reconsider how he labels blogs. A bunch of pictures of people in a riot situation doesn't constitute proof of criminal behavior, least not until it can be proven. That kind of titling leaves him wide open to all kinds of legal redress, don't you think?

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]peterson99[/nom]cough.. cough... weaselmasher ..cough ..trollCanada's Radio Act requires that "a licenser may not broadcast ... any false or misleading news." The provision has kept Fox News and right-wing talk radio out of Canada and helped make Canada a model for liberal democracy and freedomcopy and pasted...... try to at least google it before you talk![/citation]

A model for liberal democracy and freedom..I'll tell them that the next time I try and enter from the US, and my face doesn't seemingly fit to some border guard Nazi! I'll remember that too, the next time I apply for a job in Canada and state I'm European; it'll no doubt soften the blow of a list of entry requirements as long as one's arm. Jeeze I guess it's easier to know people, including politicians even if I have to come in a boat..

As for this news, it's nothing new to me. It doesn't represent all Canadians, it's just a stupid scrum over nothing important. You see the same in parts England, or worse thanks to a violent underclass that is about as appealing as the clap.

Despite this incident Vancouver and B.C. still seems like a relatively nice place to live if you're lucky enough to get in. Toronto used to be as nice in my book. Fancy getting so fired up over a stupid bloody game..stupid, and a waste of energy considering all the OTHER things they could be spending their time on.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]As a Canadian I thought this was pretty embarrassing, I really hope they prosecute the ones involved in this. I think the NHL and NBA are rigged anyways...but that's besides the point.[/citation]

Don't worry fonzy..as a person from Europe I don't think anything less of Canada or Canadians. I know for a fact I can live in Vancouver and not meet 1/10th of the vermin I see over here. I just hope you can save what you have including saving it from the ravages of gutless, selfish and incompetent politicians and their offshore allies.

skyjogger

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]nopenopenope[/nom]"Hate to bust your bubble, but NewsCorp/Fox News are Australian, not American."I don't know if I should laugh at you or feel sorry for you.[/citation]
you should really at least look into something a little before you comment because you look mighty silly if you say something like that and are wrong.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Jalek[/nom]What's that news in the public interest standard? America's news the in corporate interest is obviously superior.[/citation]
And yet Fox news is more accurate than the PR spin belched out by the White House every day. Anyone who can do simple math can sense the discrepancies.

Sadly, that leaves about 50% of Americans believing every word.

G

whoever did this im glad you got aressted and how bout those BRUINS eh!

GO BOSTON GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IDIOTS

G

krazeedocta 06/16/2011 7:08 PM

I hate that the media downplays the number of people involved. There's hundreds at least, from those pictures, if not thousands. Not to mention tons of bystanders.

Canadians have done this many times. If this were the United States, the media would be far harsher, in my honest opinion. Call my a conspiracy nut if you want, but I think everyone is way harsher on the U.S.

The Canadians are a peaceful people? Of course they are, there are 34 million people in a country larger than the United states. I don't think it has anything to do with Guns or people, I think it has to do with less people interacting with each other. Just my 2 cents.

By your logic India and China would be 100x worse than places haiti or somalia or the sudan.

Now would be a good time to face desk as you have further proven American ignorance towards other countries.

G

I find it ironic when police are needed to be tough and direct they don't do nothing like the Vancouver riots and the black block on the first day of the G20 summit yet when it comes to peaceful demonstrations they just abuse, destroy all and bring down martial law. I don't get it. I guess it's easier to hurt the law abiding then the real criminal. No we need them as fund raisers. Gives use a excuse to ask for budget increases.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I'm a Vancouverite and I think the media is trying to downplay the incidents' scale. It wasn't only hundreds. It was thousands, possibly tens of thousands of people that lost their mind. We shouldn't be downplaying things, no matter how harsh the reality may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.