Center of Milky Way Pictured in 9-gigapixel Image

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
I can see museums and colleges buying this full sized poster. This is very cool. And for a site with low views/small items to upload a ungodly huge file, what did they think would happen?

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I was ready to download. But now I will keep an eye waiting as I wont pass this opportunity to have such an amazing document in any chance.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation][nom]rutiger[/nom]"shows more than 84 million stars"I only counted 83,568,723 and wonder which ones I missed.[/citation]
Better start over. ;-p

[citation][nom]MarcNBarrett[/nom]There is an easy way to solve bandwidth problems when proving files of considerable size: bittorrent.[/citation]

Then you get your connection throttled by your ISP and a warning letter for pirating. Since as far as they are concerned the only use for bittorrent is pirating media.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]Then you get your connection throttled by your ISP and a warning letter for pirating. Since as far as they are concerned the only use for bittorrent is pirating media.[/citation]
That's not how that works. The ISPs get contacted by people representing the studios of the movies you pirate. Your ISP has a vested interest in not really doing anything. Punishing you in any way could cost them money. They're not going out of their way to tick you off, it just happens.

nibir2011

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
[citation][nom]rutiger[/nom]"shows more than 84 million stars"I only counted 83,568,723 and wonder which ones I missed.[/citation]

LOL one of the best jokes

@tomshardware what is the size of a 9 gigapixel image

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Uncompressed with 24-bits per pixel would be 25GB... though given that the image is mostly black and white, I bet 8-bit would look about the same... 8 GB.

Compression varies by image, IDK, maybe 1-3GB?

G

Why hasn't anyone uploaded this as a torrent. Why don't these astro-scientists hire good IT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS