Review Chamberlain myQ (G0401) Smart Garage Door Opener review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2021
You didn't mention that integrating Chamberlain myQ to smart home services such as IFTTT & Google assistant require you to create a Myq account and while currently free will charge a subscription fee of approx. $12/year. A con when you consider others are free.

Oct 18, 2021
Hi Jim, in order to use the myQ service you are correct that you need to create a myQ account which is standard practice for any smart home service. Our myQ app and core features through it are free. At the moment there is no plan to end the free offer for linking partners like Google Assistant and IFTTT. In the event that the offer ends customers will be given a 30 day notice. Users do not have to provide their credit card at sign up and will not be prompted for a credit card at any point during the continuation of the offer.

Mar 7, 2022
The Chamberlain myQ is an inexpensive, intuitive, and easy-to-use smart garage door opener. However, it doesn’t work with Amazon Alexa.

Chamberlain myQ (G0401) Smart Garage Door Opener review : Read more
I have had the previous version of the MyQ hub and with garage door sensors which provided sensing and control for my two legacy (not wifi) liftmaster garage door controllers. I could separately monitor and control each of my two garage doors. The system worked fine for about a year - until it didn't. A couple of days ago, I received some unknown error about a sensor (I wish i'd have taken a shapshot) on my phone - with a message to press the button on my sensor. I did - and the whole system went south. One of my garage doors was gone from the menu. I now found out how BADLY the software has been architected.

Because of the way the app is written (iphone), I couldn't just remove the devices and re-install them - because my devices aren't available to select in the app as separate devices. The only way that the devices were visible is through the INITIAL setup routine. SO I I had to reset EVERTYTHING and start from scratch (reset the hub, add a sensor, link with garage door opener, add another sensor, add another controller. And I had to step through ALL OF THE instructions on how to mount the devices over and over again. What a pain. The software writers took the easy way out - at my expense. But that wasn't all.

Finally, when everything was done, BOTN of my door openers respond SIULTANEOUSLY to ONE door's commands. It appears that there is insufficient logic in the app or system or software to deal with the fact that my openers already had been linked to the MyQ. The software ended up linking each door to a COMMON signal. I am now going to have to totally reset both of my garage door openers, program my remotes, and then program myQ. I am hopeful that after a couple more hours of hassle, it may all work again. Lazy programmers = a lot of wasted time if you ever have to change something.

rgd1101

Don't
I have had the previous version of the MyQ hub and with garage door sensors which provided sensing and control for my two legacy (not wifi) liftmaster garage door controllers. I could separately monitor and control each of my two garage doors. The system worked fine for about a year - until it didn't. A couple of days ago, I received some unknown error about a sensor (I wish i'd have taken a shapshot) on my phone - with a message to press the button on my sensor. I did - and the whole system went south. One of my garage doors was gone from the menu. I now found out how BADLY the software has been architected.

Because of the way the app is written (iphone), I couldn't just remove the devices and re-install them - because my devices aren't available to select in the app as separate devices. The only way that the devices were visible is through the INITIAL setup routine. SO I I had to reset EVERTYTHING and start from scratch (reset the hub, add a sensor, link with garage door opener, add another sensor, add another controller. And I had to step through ALL OF THE instructions on how to mount the devices over and over again. What a pain. The software writers took the easy way out - at my expense. But that wasn't all.

Finally, when everything was done, BOTN of my door openers respond SIULTANEOUSLY to ONE door's commands. It appears that there is insufficient logic in the app or system or software to deal with the fact that my openers already had been linked to the MyQ. The software ended up linking each door to a COMMON signal. I am now going to have to totally reset both of my garage door openers, program my remotes, and then program myQ. I am hopeful that after a couple more hours of hassle, it may all work again. Lazy programmers = a lot of wasted time if you ever have to change something.
did you send this to Chamberlain ?

Status
Not open for further replies.