Charger Phantom Unplugs in Video Games

jbsdog

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016
Alright, I'm having a lot of frustrations and am trying to come up with a fix. I currently own a Gigabyte P55w Laptop. Before starting, I would like to say that I do have the Power Plan set on High Performance and all that jazz.

The issue I am currently having is this... Whenever I play a game, (tested on GW2, SWTOR, and ESO) my fps is at a steady 60 and such and drops unbearably low to 8 for a few seconds and jumps back up. I have observed, that whenever this happens, my computer appears to think it isn't plugged into the charger anymore as the icon in my taskbar shows it unplugged. Then it shows plugged in again and a few seconds later the FPS drop stops. This happens constantly, about every 20 seconds or so, and has made playing anything unbearably. I'm thinking the issue may be the charger, but the computer thinking the charger unplugs and replugs only happens when I am playing a game. The only other observation I have been able to find is that on SWTOR, when I drop the shader quality down to low, the issue stops. Which makes me worry that the issue is a graphics card issue instead of a charger issue. I'm not really sure.

If anyone has any information regarding this or a solution, please lemme know. I am beyond frustrated. Thank you.

Hi,

FPS drops may be caused by a driver or temp problems.
- Start by uninstalling/reinstalling the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the graphics card driver.
- Open Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to your graphics card.
- Download and install the latest driver there is from the manufacturer of the graphics card.
- Once installed reboot the laptop then test it again.

About the charging issue try to uninstall.reinstall "microsoft acpi-compliant control method battery" from Device Manager as well and see if that will solve the problem. If these doesn't work try another AC adapter that has the same voltage with your and see if it will work as normal.