Cheap all-round laptop (w/ buyers FAQ

Guest190298

Estimable
Apr 4, 2015
I've been looking around on the internet but I have 0 experience with laptops so I find it hard to decide what laptop to go for. Hopefully you guys can help me out. If my demands aren't realistic within my price range, feel free to correct me.

1. What is your budget?
- €300-€450

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
- Pref. 17-18 inch, but 15.6 inch is alright too.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
- Whatever is the best resolution available within my price range.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
- It will be a replacement for my desktop, as I can't carry my desktop with me everywhere I go.

5. How much battery life do you need?
- I can use cable 99% of the times so this isn't an issue.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
- I do want to play games, but not very high-demanding ones. Games like:

Old School Runescape (even a potato can run this, so this won't be a problem I guess)

Half-Life and other source-engine based games like Garry's Mod on high.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. It would be great to be able to play this on high settings, but I guess that's not possible within my price range so medium would be alright.

Maybe older games like League of Legends, Just Cause 2, Team Fortress 2 on medium+.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
- I like to watch Twitch while playing Runescape and I also watch CS:GO matches. I want to be able to watch youtube video's without having to wait every 10 seconds for the video to buffer. I'll also use it for school stuff; Word, excel, notepad++, that kind of stuff.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
- I don't really know, I guess enough to store the games I want to play (see: 6) and a lot of school stuff. (So I guess 250GB+ ?)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
- No.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
- Min. 3 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
- I won't need any bluray or other fancy stuff. I guess DVD ROM would be nice to have, but not necessary.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
- As said before, I don't have much experience with laptops but my brother and parents have had a few really shitty Acer laptops and from my friends I've heard some positive feedback on Toshiba and Lenovo. It's not really that I want a specific brand or anything.

13. What country do you live in?
the Netherlands

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
- As said before, I'm open to any kind of feedback on my demands. If you think I should change something in order to be able to get a laptop within my price range, please tell. All advice is appreciated.