Cheap laptop for university + the occasional game

Jun 4, 2018
Hi, going into university next year and getting a new laptop. I wasn't going to buy a laptop specifically for gaming initially however I decided that that may be the best option considering I'd like to be able to play my collection of over 100 steam games haha. I'd preferably like a laptop under 1000 usd, (I am in New Zealand), and I was also wondering if you guys thought it is better to buy in local store to get a special protection plan or if online is better. The main one I was looking at is the
Inspiron 15 5000 at 1350 NZD$
https://www.dell.com/en-nz/shop/laptops-ultrabooks-notebooks/inspiron-15-5000/spd/inspiron-15-5570-laptop/a511052nz
If purchased from the dell store, I can also purchase the 3 year protection from dell.
I wanted to see if anyone knew of a better gaming laptop to play games such as rocket league, far cry, skyrim.
Ps- Is amazon any good even though they don't have extended protection? I've had to replace my laptops every year for various reasons but they've been mostly covered by a plan that gives back some of our money and so i am wary about getting a laptop that doesn't have this.

What I'm looking for:
14-15 inch screen
Preferably SSD
Relatively okay battery for normal study activity like research- 5/6 hours ish
Don't mind AMD vs radeon too much, not too fussed since I won't notice small differences
Not too heavy so I can carry around campus
minimum 8gb ram, but i've hear 16 is much better
Not prone to overheating- that has been a big issue with my other laptops

Jun 4, 2018

I've taken a look but not many options here in nz, also my family doesn't feel quite comfortale getting second hand electronics but thanks for the thought :)

Jun 4, 2018
Jun 4, 2018

Thank you so much :)