Chinese Students Forced into Foxconn Internships

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ransom22

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
[citation][nom]jerfle[/nom]Boycott FOXCONN! This storyline just keeps getting worse. Have they not heard of PR? Is Foxconn ran by the Chinese Republic?[/citation]

Considering the fact that China is a Communist nation, yes, Foxconn is run by the government, which shouldn't be allowed to the good name of Republic.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]I am not pro-communist (thought I lived in a communist state for 9 years in Eastern Europe), but you better hope that the CPP doesn't collapse in your life time. China can only be ruled by an autocracy - it would not be possible for all the 56 ethnic groups in China to maintain a unified China for long. Yes, Beijing rules with an iron fist, but at least it rules, and probably better than an Emperor would. So...don't paint all communist nations with the same brush - the USSR was doomed, whereas the CCP learned from the mistakes of the past. As for the story - screw FOXCONN and the CPP for forced labour. Disgusting.[/citation]
It doesn't justify the actions of the government.

G

Why is no one commenting on the fact that per US national suicide Rates, much less China's, The suicide Rate at Foconn is Below The Average! For 2005, for example the national average of the US was 11.1 per 100,000. that would be over 33 for the 300,000 workers at Foxconn. China's average is higher.

septagent

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Yup. The west wants goods they can consume. Lots and lots of them, at an as low price as possible. It doesn't have to be durable, as it must be replaced as soon as something new and slightly redesigned comes around. It doesn't have to be produced with respect to the environment and workers, as long as it's cheap. This is our pattern of consumption. We need to change it and all the excesses around the environment and abuse of workers will end. In this story, there is one evil power. It's not Foxconn, it's not China. It's the consumers in the west that want cheap electronics. If we would pay just a little bit more, things would be so much better for our planet and the workers in low wage countries.[/citation]

I'm not so sure. When a company decides to start buying all it's parts from China, you hardly notice the price go down. They do that to reduce costs and increase profit. I say, for the most part, it's a bunch of large companies trying to squeeze every last penny out of the poor for their own selfish reasons that leads to cheaper and cheaper labor. Consumers try and save a few dollars, corporations try and save a few millions in the name of a bigger yacht or longer vacation.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Lost in all this of course is the fact that FoxConn will be creating 300000 jobs in at area...holy crap!!!!!!!!

Yes they will be underpaid jobs and the conditions will be horrible but think of where those jobs WON'T be (here in the US or some other country that doesn't cater to slave labor). With these working conditions, there is no WAY (or other civilized nations) can compete on cost alone.

tandy_lau

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]jerfle[/nom]Boycott FOXCONN! This storyline just keeps getting worse. Have they not heard of PR? Is Foxconn ran by the Chinese Republic?[/citation]

Agreed

klockwerk

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
You may not like China, but so what. You are still supporting them. They don't give a rat's butt if you like them, just as long as you buy their junk (computers, cell-phones, etc.).

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]feeddagoat[/nom]Then so too will america since China holds most of Americas Debts. Unfortunately the opposite is more likely to happen and is evident in Chinas growth, China through "Communism" doesn't have the welfare or equality attitude that Western countries have. Ultimately it can do what ever it wants to exploit people to help their economy grow. BTW the EU is very communist in its ideals and approach to things.[/citation]
Completely and totally wrong. The US actually holds most of it's own debt, the federal reserve owns about 5 trillion (remember back in early 2000 how Limbaugh used to say the deficit wasn't a problem because it was money we owed to ourselves? - I used to listen to him daily in my engineering lab when I was interning), private investors and firms are about 1 trillion, china is about 900 billion, Japan is about 800 billion (remember back in the 90s when everyone was worried about Japan buying the US?), mutual funds are about 650 billion, US pensions are about 500 billion and states and local gov'ts are about 500 billion. The rest is mad up a few other countries and companies here and there (oil exporting countries, Brittan, insurance companies). The overwhelming majority of the US debt is held by US banks, investing and insurance firms, and US citizens via pensions and retirement mutual funds.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Klockwerk[/nom]You may not like China, but so what. You are still supporting them. They don't give a rat's butt if you like them, just as long as you buy their junk (computers, cell-phones, etc.).[/citation]
Exactly, as long as you don't want to either:

A) Work for less
or
B) Pay more for your toys

Companies will still make things in China. Because those that don't lose out on sales because of cost. The CEO of my company hates dealing with China but it's a necessary evil because if you don't the other guy will and you'll lose market share and maybe your company. The only thing that keeps some of our (meaning the company I work for) manufacturing here is ITAR restrictions, rework cost (a percentage of crap coming from China doesn't meet qual) and, someday, fuel costs.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]vant[/nom]I think you have it wrong. Most people in the world hate americans.[/citation]

LOL, it's probably more accurate to say that they hate "american arrogance" though. In general american folks, despite their lower education level, are good people. US politics is the reason americans are hated.

That being said, you go to the middle east or afghanistan they'll kill you just for being american.

Status
Not open for further replies.