chkdsk vs TuneUp Disk Doctor

Saint Grimm

Estimable
Feb 25, 2014
Wanting to test my old HDD for errors and make sure everything is running smoothly. It seems to me that the TuneUp utlities Disk Doctor's thorough analysis is the exact same thing as chkdsk, but I've never actually used it.

So can anyone tell me which is more reliable/better to use in checking for errors?

My main issue is that task manager claims my disk is running at 100% constantly - I tried turning off all the windows functions suggested in other posts here no tom's, but they had no effect. Also ran malware bytes, haven't ran avast yet, as I'm about to go to bed and checking the disc takes A LOT longer, so I'd like to do that while I'm asleep, and will run avast scan tomorow.

Solution
Both of these applications are going to net you similar results although TuneUp's version might be faster. Keep in mind these will only fix file system errors and not disk error.

The best way to snuff out disk errors is to completely fill the drive with random files. This will test the drive's mechanics and locate any bad sectors. At that point you'll know the condition of your drive.

If you are looking for a utility that can help a drive with poor health, SpinRite will correct hardware level errors.

Saint Grimm

Estimable
Feb 25, 2014
my tune up 1 click maintenance is complete, so I'm going to go ahead and run chkdsk instead. If anyone replies and thinks that the disk doctor does a better job, I'll do another scan with it sometime this weekend. Won't see any answers until late tomorrow, so thanks in advance!

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Both of these applications are going to net you similar results although TuneUp's version might be faster. Keep in mind these will only fix file system errors and not disk error.

The best way to snuff out disk errors is to completely fill the drive with random files. This will test the drive's mechanics and locate any bad sectors. At that point you'll know the condition of your drive.

If you are looking for a utility that can help a drive with poor health, SpinRite will correct hardware level errors.

Solution

Saint Grimm

Estimable
Feb 25, 2014
Thanks for the info, I'll look into spinrite, however, I went ahead and used tuneup last night, I went to "this PC" (running windows 10) and right clicked, clicked the chkdsk option and it told me the drive didn't need to be scanned, but I could still do it if I wanted to - So not sure if maybe something had changed with Windows 10, I just used the tuneup one, Tuneup claimed my drive has never been checked for errors, even though it has. And the disk check got to 12% before I went to bed last night, about 9 hours later when I came back to the PC, it was still 12%. So I risked it and shut the PC down.

I've spent the past 3 days deleting things off the drive, I had 150gb free out of 1.4tb, and now I'm up to 650gb free out of 1.4tb. So I'd really like to avoid re-adding items lol. But I'll look into that program and see what I can find out, possibly make a new question on the forums about my specific problem that caused me to ask this question.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
You should run a check disk through windows. It'll do it at boot and is less prone to freezing compared to software run in windows.

You should also run a hard drive health program to make sure the drive is doing ok. Something like CrystalDiskInfo.