Choose between these 3 laptops please.

jonshardunderwear

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Hey tech guys I've narrowed down my laptop choices to three.
I'd like you to help me decide which lap is the most bang for the buck?
I'm looking to spend about 800 but could go a little higher.
which one would allow me to play games like
battlefield 2
bf2142
secondlife
fallout 3
spore
oblivion 4
sims 2
gta IV

Here they are :
HP dv5t
http://www.shopping.hp.com/series/category/notebooks/dv5t_series/3/computer_store?jumpid=in_r329_personalization/browse1/home_SDP
I'm going to add in a 9600gt graphics card.

Y510
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?vt=5&GroupID=37&Code=77583DU&hide_menu_area=true
nice looking graphics card nice price.

ThinkPad SL500
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?vt=5&GroupID=37&Code=SL500_NVIDIA_US&hide_menu_area=true
I'm second guessing this. I'm not sure it will be as good as the others when it comes to gaming.
what do you guys think?

quanger

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
I would recommend replacing the SL500 with the T500. It has a far ore superior graphics card. Or should I say cards. You can switch from dedicated ati radeon 3650 to on-board crappy intel for more battery life. Not sure if the SL500 offers that.

jonshardunderwear

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
well I looked at a few reviews on the lenovo and most say the screen has alot of glare. This doesn't sound so good I think i'll go with the HP now i just have to determine what this nonsense about the screen means..
-
15.4" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
BrightView improves color contrast in your images and video
Included in price

15.4" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Infinity Display (1280 x 800)
Infinity glass is a designer screen with a clean frameless look
+$50.00

15.4" diagonal WSXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1680 x 1050)
+$75.00

15.4" diagonal WSXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Infinity Display (1680 x 1050)
+$125.00

The screens with the Infinity are most likely glossy screens and will produce the glare that people were talking about with the Lenovo.

@Quanger: The 9600M GT and the 3650 are pretty much comparable cards, trading blows in games.

jonshardunderwear

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
okay guys I need your help should I get amd or intel hhehe
Also screen resolution I decided I'll just go ahead and take the 1680x1050 for 75 more.
I'm going to purchase it in a few minutes you think the T5800 is good enough if i go with intel?

quanger

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
i wouldnt suggesion going with amd's mobile chip. its not able to really compete with the latest c2d.

I suggest going with WSXGA+ screen. THe lower resolution WXGA at 15" imo is too lower and the WUXGA is overkill.

I have had some experience with HP notebooks and I've really learned that if you want a sturdy build then stay the hell away from HP. Lenovo im sure is top notch although I dont know one. Its what they're really known for.

The T5800 cpu is not bad, but it is definately outspeced by the P8400. Less cache, lower fsb, etc. I would go with the latest :) unless you plan to buy a cpu on ebay down the road. But if you do plan that - then make sure the cpu isnt soldered on. I believe some vendors solder it on while others use a socket. Toshiba and asus are definately socket.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
I was recently deciding between the Lenovo Y730 and the HP dv7z. I've decided to go with the Y730 for the following reasons:

■Lenovo doesn't have a lot of configuration options for any of their machines, but they don't charge as much for "upgrades" as HP.
■Lenovo's screens are better than HP's (The "Infinity display is QUITE reflective)
■Lenovo's Y series weigh a few onces more but are slightly slimmer/thinner than the HP dv
■the AMD based dv series, especially the dv7z run quite warm. Very very warm.
■I trust Lenovo support more than I trust HP
■And finally, I can't afford the laptop I really want: ThinkPad W700.