Question Choosing a Password Manager

glenntarr

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2014
I've been using password managers for some time. I've used Dashlane, 1Password, and now LastPass. Likewise, I find them all lacking in being user-friendly. I am looking for a simple-to-use and understood management program. That supports Firefox, which is my primary browser. I also want a program that is security-driven. I've spent most of the day watching videos and searching the web for recommendations. I see that 1Passwod is favored by many. But so is Dashlane, NordPass, Roboform, and Keeper. I am considering trying Keeper and maybe one of the others I have not tried over the years.
Can anybody give me some guidance? I have difficulty understanding LastPass, and getting their help is almost impossible. Dashlane was my first try some years ago. And I also found it hard to navigate. 1Password was acceptable, but I also had some trouble understanding some of their functions. Maybe it's just me. But I would like to find a program that is easier to use yet provides maximum security and warns of potential threats. Any suggestions or help from the forum would be greatly appreciated.

CParsons

Estimable
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
Unfortunately, Password Managers have a long way to go when it comes to ease of use and user-friendliness. Personally, I use 1Password and have for years, but given you already tried that one I'm not sure what to suggest, they all suffer from some issues. Given your main use is Firefox, you might just be fine using the built-in features. You could also check out the break down here and see if it helps you make a more informed choice

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-password-managers,review-3785.html

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Sep 21, 2021
Bitwarden is free and open-source.
Firefox does have its own password manager similar to Chrome as well. However, you some say that you should move away from browser-based password managers if for no other reason the freedom to access it from anywhere.