Chrome not working after Windows 7 updates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

justinbyrne001

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Okay, I am about to lose it, literally, because I cannot resolve this issue, and this is the ‘only’ place I know of where I can get some sound advice.

I had recently wiped my hard drive clean, to do a fresh install of Windows 7. My registry was becoming a little cluttered, and after about a year and a half of installing, updating, and upgrading software, I felt as though my system needed a fresh start. I am a software and web developer, and I like to keep my system minimal, however, I do rely on many different software packages and services to develop (i.e.: Java JDK, Apache, PHP, MySQL, UDK, Maya, Adobe, the .NET framework, and every major web-browser currently available), and it is crucial that everything works in harmony. Now, I have not even begun to install anything (other than Windows 7), and I am already experiencing the same issue repeatedly. Here is what I am experiencing.

When I install Windows 7, I ‘disable’ Windows from performing their ‘automatic updates’. In the past, have had too many experiences where one of Microsoft’s updates renders something within my system as un-functional, and I am almost 100% positive that this is occurring again, however, I cannot pin point which update is doing this, nor exactly what is causing this issues. What is happening is I cannot get Chrome to access the internet, at all. It runs, however, it will not access the internet. It is crucial for me to have this service, since this is my #1 choice for internet browsers, and (since I develop web-sites) I require it to work out cross-compatibility issues. I cannot work without this, so please, I do not need Firefox, Opera, IE, etc… fan boys suggesting that I simply switch browsers. I require as many popular browsers as possible, so that I may perform my ‘job’ as best as I can, and in all honesty, I find that chrome suites my profession better than other browsers.

Now, with that out of the way, every browser that I have installed (IE, Opera, Firefox, Safari) all work fine, except for Chrome, and I only experience this problem after I update Windows 7. I have installed Windows 7 eight times already, and each time I try something new, and I still cannot get Chrome to function. Each time I install Windows, I have been going through the same routine (after noticing this problem). I first), Install Windows, second), install motherboard drivers, third), install LAN drivers, and fourth), install Chrome. At this point, Chrome works fine, and everything is sunshine and flowers. Then, I go on to install my Video drivers (ASUS Nvidia GeForce 660 DirectCUII), USB drivers, and other peripheral drivers. Still, at this point everything works fine. Then, before I install Kasperksy Antivirus (to rule out the possibility of a conflict) I begin updating Windows 7. Now, after the first set of updates, which is something like 102 critical updates, and after I restart my computer, Chrome does not work anymore. I have tried installing chrome ‘after’ Windows 7 completes all of its updates as well, with the same result. In addition, I have also tried:

1. Running CHKDSK /R & CHKDSK /F twice in administrator mode; no errors or bad sectors found.
2. Running a DEEP antivirus/malware scan on ‘all’ of my drives, twice, and nothing was found.
3. Running Chrome with the ‘-no-sandbox’ attribute, with no effect.
4. ‘Use automatic configuration script’, and ‘Use a proxy server’ within my internet options are ‘not checked’.
5. Running Chrome in ‘incognito’ mode, with no effect.
6. I have tried repairing Window 7 three times, with no effect.
7. Clearing out my memory, 4 times, with no effect.
8. Running CCleaner to clear out my registry, with no effect.
9. Updating my BIOS, with no effect.
10. Insuring that all of my drivers are up-to-date, with no effect.
11. Using an IP address to resolve a connection, with no effect.
12. And I have restarted my machine about a thousand times, with no effect.

I understand that this is a lot, and I would honestly be in debt to whoever could assist me with this matter. Currently, I have lost 4 days of both work and school because of this problem, and I am pulling my hair out attempting to figure this issue out. Apparently there are, and have been similar cases like mine (on the internet), however, none of the suggestions that I have found have worked in my case. I thank everyone who is able to lend their assistance towards this matter in advance, and I deeply appreciate any advice or knowledge which could assist me within this matter. Thank you for your time.

techdoodle

Estimable
Sep 12, 2014
I had the same problem, opened chrome after September 2014 MS critical updates and nothing would load in chrome. This solution worked for me: I opened task manager and closed everything related to chrome, all instances, crash handler, updater, even Adobe flash. When I next opened chrome, I got the message that it didn't shut down correctly and did I want to reopen tabs. I selected no. I had to change my homepage in chrome, but other than that everything is now fine. Hope this helps someone.

NeverTellMeTheOddz

Estimable
Oct 7, 2014
Had the exact same problem, and found a workaround (for my system, at least):
1) Locate the Google.exe file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application
2) Right-click on the file and choose Properties.
3) Go to the Compatibility tab, and choose "Run this Program in compatibility mode for Windows Vista".

Chrome is running just fine for me since making this change. (And by changing the .exe file properties, the change works no matter how you kick off Chrome.)

Who knew Windows Vista would actually turn out to be useful for something? :)

guitars555

Estimable
Nov 12, 2014
I have had this problem several times over the past 2 years. Extremely frustrating. I am not a computer tech and only know enough to make me dangerous. That said, I have solved the problem on my computer. I just asked - what changed?. I went to windows update and looked at the updates that were just done (most recently yesterday 11/11/14). Sure enough, Microsoft .NET framework had an update. I uninstalled it and presto - Chrome works again! This has worked several times over the last 2 years. At first I just did a system restore but later wanted to know more specifically what had changed that affected Chrome.
For the life of me I can't figure out why MS or Google haven't addressed this issue. Geez, am I the only one who can figure this out? I doubt it. Still, not having updates to .NET framework must leave my machine vulnerable in some way, right?

eddielee394

Estimable
Nov 20, 2014

Same exact issue as OP. This worked for me as well. Switched chrome over to vista compatiblity & now working fine. Not sure what caused the issue in the first place, though.

planehopr

Estimable
Jan 14, 2015
After my computer does a window's update, chrome almost never works. I can't get into settings or anything, nor can I load any web pages. I found a simple fix. Do a control-alt-delete and go into task manager. Close all chrome programs in all the tabs. Once you close all the processes, reopen chrome. It loads for me.

By the way, even when chrome isn't working. IE and Firefox do work. I was frustrated for a long time, but then I figured out if I close all the running programs and processes that say "chrome" I can load it.

guitars555

Estimable
Nov 12, 2014

Spencer Sanders

Estimable
Jan 19, 2015
I don't have any amazing terminology or great answer. I did the very same thing you did. I found the one thing on the new install I usually don't do. Checked the send usage statistics to google. I uninstalled. and put back without option. No issues. Maybe its just mine, just wanted to throw it out there.

zaraa

Estimable
Mar 20, 2015
hi ok this is what u need to do right click on chrome on ur desktop then click on properties u then will see this option (target: "C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" now all you need to do is edit it to "C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" -no-sandbox and then click on ok problem sloved open chrome and its good to go hope this helped :)

spstack

Estimable
Apr 2, 2015
With my Win 7 Ultimate 64 installs, I have run into browser crashing of varying levels with the worst level being IE, Chrome, and Firefox not running more than a minute or so. Makes it difficult to diagnose/research various problems. Have wasted time on everything you can imagine. Today I downloaded latest offline 32 bit and 64 bit java installs. Ran both of these and made sure no older versions installed. Pulled up IE, Chrome and Firefox individually and veryified Java (on Java website) and problem seem to be fixed. Browsers working fine so far.

Ollie Townsend III

Estimable
Jun 5, 2014

Today is May 13,2015. Just did a couple updates to Win 7 x64 and Chrome would not load anything when I brought it back up. Killed all Chrome processes as suggested by Techdoodle and said no to reopening the pages. I am now making this comment via Chrome, so good advice!

Andy_Runi

Estimable
Jan 29, 2016
If you have problems with google chrome on windows 7 64 b just DISABLE WINDOWS SEARCH INDEX.
I'm not an expert but i think chrome interferes with windows search index, hope this is just a coincidence i don't think google will do this on purpose. :)

ruach77

Estimable
Jun 25, 2015

JanJ69

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was almost on my way out the door to replace my computer! I use Chrome ALL the time, and my system was more or less locked down and would do nearly nothing.

xerosum

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016

I know this thread is old but I tried this step for an issue I was unable to resolve. Every time I started chrome I would get a popup that "windows firewall has blocked some features of this program" When I turned the firewall off and opened chrome windows would automatically turn it back on when I started chrome and prompt with the blocked features message. It was driving me nuts. Thanks for the help on an unrelated issue.

Jeffrey_43

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
Starting October 2016 I found that my Google search and browser would not work properly or not at all. Like you I tried everything, but no to no avail" I eventually tracked the problem down to the newer Microsoft updates. I am running Windows 7 home SP1 64-bit. These are the main problems I was having. Stopped Google search history being retained and auto complete would stop working. Caused Freezing on web pages. Amazon.com web page will load but will freeze every time. The web page must be closed after it freezes. This was my FIX! Uninstall of KB3185330 (Important Update) Uninstall KB3192403 (Optional Update) You can try to load these updates and try for yourself and then just uninstall after you see the problem it causes. It should be a crime what Microsoft is doing and they are only hurting their customers. Microsoft should be investigated for violating antitrust laws.