News Chrome vs Safari on Mac is not even close — and this is the proof

Feb 20, 2021
The web entry for this article shows adjacent app icons for Chrome and Firefox, even though it purports to be about Chrome vs. Safari.

And then the article itself ends up being about Chrome vs. Flotato.

Headlining and illustrating articles correctly would be a service to your remaining readers.

TBolt

Estimable
Feb 8, 2017
The web entry for this article shows adjacent app icons for Chrome and Firefox, even though it purports to be about Chrome vs. Safari.

Headlining and illustrating articles correctly would be a service to your remaining readers.

Furthermore, the article really is just an ad for Flotato.

Anyway, I’m glad to have ditched Chrome long ago – on Macs and Windows machines.

Feb 20, 2021
Or, instead of running Flotato, one could simply run Safari and get ~90% of the benefit that Flotato provides, while still being able to run different websites in tabs. What a concept.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In regards to Chrome, I don't these results at all surprising. Using the MS Three Finger Salute, I had up to 20(!) instances of chrome running, with each instance gobbling between 10 and 100+ MB.

Feb 21, 2021
This article is completely incoherent. I just opened the BBC website with flotato and it's over 100mb. And, ram usage doesn't make your fans run. And, "nearly 80mb" or over 100mb, whichever it is, both are pretty inconsequential amounts of RAM on anything close to a modern Mac - unless you're somehow displaying and interacting with 30 browser tabs all at once. And lol at "There's no plugins, browser renderer..." --- WHAT IS RENDERING THE FLOTATO PIXELS?

Feb 21, 2021

We have corrected the image and regret the error. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

A_P

Feb 22, 2021
So blatant ad for utterly useless app. Shame on you.

At least, you might to investigate what causes such difference in memory usage. Was it Chrome itself or Crome extensions? Was it Chromium engine — employed by Edge as well — or parts that are above the engine? So, what about Edge? Finally, what part ads (that might be automatically limited by some browsers) played in that?

No really useful information. How much did Flotato creator pay you for this article?