Question Chromebook Recommendations?

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Looking for a new chromebook as my old asus 14 inch chromebook screen is messed up and several keys on the keyboard no longer work. Had this asus chromebook for several years but it has issues with the screen where if i don't put it in the exact spot, it flickers. There is damage to the screen for sure. It's basically almost unusable. If i move the screen up or down just a bit, it would flicker and I would take me a long time to move it around where it no longer flickers. So I want to get a replacement chromebook.

Thoughts on these chromebooks that are on sale at best buy and costco? They are on sale now and they are max $200+ tax it seems.

Best option seem to be either the first 2 options of best buy acer spin 514 or the costco asus-14"-c424ma? The processor on the asus spin 514 is ryzen 3... but the ram is still 4gb. The asus uses intel celeron 4020 and same amount of ram. but it has double the storage at 128gb vs 64 with the asus spin 514.. Also both seem to have IPS screen and 1920x1080 resolution which is important.. Is the asus spin 514 with the ryzen 3 that much important? But ram is still 4gb though.

The other asus should be avoided because of the slower 3350 processor right and because its only $20 cheaper and less storage? What about the hp ones? Those seem to be intel celeron 4500 vs 4020/3350 with the asus.

I will mainly use this chromebook as a web browser and watching videos. By that... I also mean streaming online through sites like sports, movies and tv show.s Also I would be watching and downloading adult videos. Yes I had to say that. My current chromebook I had also downloaded these videos/pictures from forums. Now I don't mind if i get malware/virus on it as I don't do anything important on the chromebook as its my entertainment laptop. So would you recommend me still get another chromebook... or buy a cheap windows laptop that is at least i3 processor and 8gb ram and use it as a virtual machine? Again this chromebook or new cheap laptop is meant me for web browsing and streaming and going to sites where its possible i could get virus as I won't be doing anything financial on it. I probably have to spend at least $350 at the absolute minimum for a windows pc with i3, 8gb ram and most importantly and IPS screen and 1920x1080 resolution right? The other issue is if I get a new windows laptop for this, I have to use it as a virtual machine for what I am doing right? Because I would have adult videos/pictures downloaded on the pc saved on the hard drive. I currently have it like this on my chromebook but again its not a concern because I don't do any financial things on it. Now because my current old asus chromebook only has 32gb emmc, I would transfer many of these videos/files to an external 1tb 7200rpm hard drive. But of course I would never connect that hard drive to my main windows laptop as I wouldn't want to risk infecting my main dell xps laptop.

So just get a new chromebook or a cheap windows laptop from $300-$550 for this? Now I know if i get a cheap windows laptop, well I could do other things on it like download programs where chromebook wouldn't allow it. But after the chromebook no longer can do updates, I can then install linux on it for security? Should I get a cheap windows laptop and install linux? Or virtual machine? Again this laptop will be my entertainment laptop where I would have lot of files/videos where I download online where those files might have malware/virus.

Last edited:

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Also the second link of the asus laptop i posted... apparently screen is not ips but TN? TN s screens are all bad right and should be avoided? Because i saw a lenovo chromebook at best buy and it had TN screen and the screen colors look washed and horrible and horrible viewing angle? Is the asus spin 514 with the ryzen 3 that much important? But ram is still 4gb though.

Last edited by a moderator: