Cities Campaigning to Get Google Fiber Net Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayssius

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
1 Gigabit is only 119.2 MB/s theoretically. Most standard hard drives come close at least for bursts, and all SSD's are easily capable of acheiving this. However most of the downloads would be directly to Ram, such as simply loading web pages very rapidly. And most broadband connections never actually hit 100% of there theoretical saturation anyhow. Especially since you would need servers capable of handling multiple 1GB upstreams, so realistically even if you got a solid 50MB/s transfer, that wouldn't be something to complain about. I for one am glad to see the ageing network infastructure finally being updated.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
See, now this is cool and all, but in order to really enjoy the fruits of what Google is offering, you've gotta be able to actually handle those kinds of speeds. Yes, cities may be campaigning to have access to the 1gb/s speeds, but people at home will need the actual hardware capable of receiving such speeds. But props to those who have the means of taking advantage of this!

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
First of all you have to ask yourself where are you going to find a place to download at the max of 1Gbps anyways. I am positive very few sites could actually achieve this for one user and not drag the rest of their servers down the hole. Unless of course you are torrenting a dozen huge torrents where each one is hosting on a 100Mbps line I doubt you will see the max of that speed anytime soon. As most have already speculated, it's more of a publicity statement than anything really useful.

shadowryche

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI is on that campaign. I guess next week local business's are holding a rally in down town to get Google's attention. Our worthless state governor is in California kissing google's ass to get them to come here.

G

there was a time when people said half a megabit connection was excessive then youtube came along, give it time and im sure someone would find an application for a gigabit connection, im thinking hulu in HD 1080 style....

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]First of all you have to ask yourself where are you going to find a place to download at the max of 1Gbps anyways. I am positive very few sites could actually achieve this for one user and not drag the rest of their servers down the hole. Unless of course you are torrenting a dozen huge torrents where each one is hosting on a 100Mbps line I doubt you will see the max of that speed anytime soon. As most have already speculated, it's more of a publicity statement than anything really useful.[/citation]
A needed publicity statement if you ask me. Most non-technical people don't realize that ISPs are ripping them off big-time.

m-manla

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Dandalf[/nom]MY HARD DRIVE CANNOT WRITE DATA AT THAT SPEED[/citation]

SSDs can! One Gigabit = 128 Megabytes.

G

curse you google for not dominating all life on earth already. it's google's fault that we're not able to play games lag free! /sarcasm

Status
Not open for further replies.