Cloud Storage Redundancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelmxr

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
I'm looking at adding a 2nd cloud backup service with Crashplan, I already have Backblaze and I'm curious to know the following:

1. What, if any, conflicts might I experience having 2 backup programs running?
2. Is anyone else using Crashplan? If so what is your perspective of it.

I have been using backblaze for 2 years and I'm satisfied with it. The only down sides are; it does not save "everything" and the restoration process is SLOW unless you pay for a usb drive or CD to be mailed to you. I had a system crash and there was a delay in getting things back up and by the time I did, a BOAT LOAD of files had been moved off there server.. eeeerrrrrrr

Solution
1) Normally if your system has the necessary performance specifications running two backup programs should not be a problem. However, the real key is knowing what those backup programs are doing in the background and how much CPU, memory, etc. that is really being used. And there is a possibility that the two backup programs may be competing for the same resources. Just try and monitor performance while both are running under load (i.e., doing backups).

2) Not familar with Crashplan so will defer to other poster's responses there.

I am wondering about the Backblaze comments you made: "Does not save everything" - I trust that that is known or mentioned early on by the service.

Also questioning the "files had been moved off of the...
1) Normally if your system has the necessary performance specifications running two backup programs should not be a problem. However, the real key is knowing what those backup programs are doing in the background and how much CPU, memory, etc. that is really being used. And there is a possibility that the two backup programs may be competing for the same resources. Just try and monitor performance while both are running under load (i.e., doing backups).

2) Not familar with Crashplan so will defer to other poster's responses there.

I am wondering about the Backblaze comments you made: "Does not save everything" - I trust that that is known or mentioned early on by the service.

Also questioning the "files had been moved off of the server" - was that also known beforehand? Just seems to me that a backup service would be, by definition, able to respond quicker. Or do "subscribers" need to pay more for premium services (saves more for longer) and responds quicker (overnight)?

Under those circumstances, considering a second backup service is probably prudent - companies change and I am wondering if Backblaze is sliding backwards....

Solution

pixelmxr

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.