Coaxial cable fix? Coax to HDMI possible?

Jack Nya

Estimable
Aug 11, 2015
So my mother's TV was hooked up by a coaxial cable to a Digital Converter, and the connector on the TV broke off. I'm attempting to repair but I have a couple questions about how this stuff works.

The Digital Converter is this small box with an input for the cable, and an output to the TV. Both are coax plugs, it was provided by the cable company so maybe it unscrambles the channels and cant simply be changed out. The name of the device makes me think its no longer an analog signal when you run it through it and then to the TV. So if i had a cable with coax on one end and HDMI on other, it would work as a digital signal, right? But does a cable like that even exist?

Moving on from that, if i just go ahead with my own repair I have a couple roadblocks. The way the connector broke off leaves the tiny stem at the back of the ribbed socket needing to be reinserted, assuming it being out in the first place does not mean the thing is f***ed. Being broken off this way also leaves the motherboard exposed around it. If im gonna take the case off the back and solder the thing back on, I need to find a way not to damage the MB. Instead of soldering... electrical tape, gorilla glue? LOL

Should I just buy her a new TV? Im already having fun figuring the thing out but I don't want to leave her without a TV for too long.

Solution
if you can google the system board or service parts of the tv. you can see if the coxal cable is soilder on or screwed in on both ends. if it screwed in you should be able to buy a new piece of cable and screw it into the logic board. if it soilder on call a few local mom and pop tv repair shops see what there flate rate is. newer tv now will have hdmi inputs and if you get them on sale a 27 or larger tv now is 199.00. if you have to buy a new tv you have to swap out the cable box.
if you can google the system board or service parts of the tv. you can see if the coxal cable is soilder on or screwed in on both ends. if it screwed in you should be able to buy a new piece of cable and screw it into the logic board. if it soilder on call a few local mom and pop tv repair shops see what there flate rate is. newer tv now will have hdmi inputs and if you get them on sale a 27 or larger tv now is 199.00. if you have to buy a new tv you have to swap out the cable box.

Solution
The output of the box is RF not video so you can't just convert it to HDMI with a cable (no such thing except for specialty use) or an actual video to HDMI active converter.
Sometimes the RF connector, which is welded and soldered to the tuner module, is not easy to replace and certainly needs more than some glue or tape.
You could replace the TV or you could get a real cable box to replace the converter. That will have HDMI output.