Codes for DVD Player Remote Variable Audio Output?

soundtrek

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
Why would JVC and Cambridge design the remotes for my XVNA70BK and 650BD DVD and BD players to give Volume/Mute functionality only when feeding their brand receivers or amplifiers? That is what’s stated in the manual. Don’t tell me that this was actually done to induce consumers to buy their brand audio gear? How then so miserly rank of those CE companies; to deliberately hijack a basic remote control feature that would most likely otherwise drive and control the volume of most any other brand amplifier.

I want to feed either one of my players’ analog audio outputs directly to my amplifier, which has no remote of its own. Might there be some code to enter
into one of my two remotes-or a relatively simple hard wire remote fix-to then access the remote’s variable audio output control?

If not, I had thought about building a really simple volume/mute remote from
block modules like these https://www.arduino.cc/ but I doubtless have enough
knowledge and even less time.

If not, then does someone market a really low cost volume/mute remote that can transcieve with the player to learn its coding for this function?

Still can’t believe that anyone would knowingly disable this remote control feature. But if their might be a code entering sequence please suggest where I might find it.

The volume control isn't in the disc player. The remote has volume and mute for the same brand of receiver or amp.
They aren't meant to be universal remotes. Each brand and maybe model receiver/amp will have different codes so it's not a matter of one code for all. If your audio system had remote control you could use a Logitech Harmony remote.
If you want to add a remote analog volume control something like this is plug and play.
https://www.amazon.com/MCM-CUSTOM-50-8394-CONTROL-IR/dp/B01CX82KH2

soundtrek

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009

soundtrek

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
Whose asking for a “universal” remote? I’m only asking for-and rightly expect-that any remote that sold with any player be able to do something as simple as allow the user to control at least the analog (if not also the digital) audio output level of the player. And it would cost nothing for any designer to implement this simple functionality when designing the encoding control scheme. Furthermore, don’t
most users of higher end players already have receivers, preamps or integrateds that they’re happy with, rather than buy those from the same brand as the player?
Is your preamp or receiver made by those who built your CD, DVD or BD player?

There’s simply no reasonable excuse for omitting this feature. Instead, unless the user’s preamp or receiver has a remote (sadly not me), he/she is then forced to
add another device between the player and the amplifier which will either cost
significant money or otherwise invariably degrade sound quality. Yes, that MCM/Newark http://www.newark.com/mcm-custom-audio/50-8394/line-level-volume-control-ir-remote/dp/79X4195
is an option, and probably the only practical one. But when I told him that Newark Tech Support was unable or unwilling to supply a circuitry schematic of this device that someone builds for them, Morten Sissener from https://www.tortugaaudio.com/ said that while the device is almost certainly passive-which spares the audio signal a needless round of coloration-the circuitry is most likely a digital attenuator. And with Newark’s ~ 40% mark up it certainly will not be a very good attenuator at that. Sorry, but I don’t get how there’s any excuse for not building what has to be VERY simple and best sounding functionality into the player and remote.

Your question implied that there was a volume control function built into the player that they did not put on the remote.
The manufacturer may not want to add an additional stage for volume control into the DVD because they don't think most people need it or agree that a digital control degrades the sound quality. A motorized passive control would add substantially to the retail price of a DVD and not attract many additional buyers. The much more expensive Cambridge DVD player did have a variable output as I remember but it was digital.
I agree that the MCM control isn't great quality. There are motorized volume controls at many price points out there for DIY.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/remote-volume-control-kit

soundtrek

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
I do agree that my question was indeed presumptuous in that with the proper coding remote controlled volume/mute could most likely be provided.
Naturally, if no attenuating circuitry exists in the analog output stage of
the player then this cannot be achieved.

But nothing I said implied that a “active gain” stage was needed to do this since decreasing output voltage can, and often is ideally done, passively. Thus, sound quality would not be degraded. Furthermore, even if an on board high quality digital attenuator might be somewhat costly, it would be likely to be less so that an equally good motorized attenuator.

And, if implemented by a competent designer (perhaps not the one who created the 650BD’s oversized and feature bloated remote which more than one professional reviewer rightly griped about) , a well conceived digital circuit may also provide both analog and digital output attenuation, and still factor nicely into the player’s price point-though most but not all standalone DACs these days do have remotes.