College / light gaming laptop

private_joker

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
1. What is your budget?
hoping to spend around / under 800$, but if it's worth it, i can consider up to 1000$. no more.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
normal laptop size is fine, doesn't matter to me. nothing super ugly and bulky.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
I'll be using photoshop and doing graphic design, so it should be pretty good. 1080p is fine

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable. I have a very nice desktop already.

5. How much battery life do you need?
I'm unfamiliar with the norm for laptop battery life, but it should at least last the whole day with normal use. the longer the battery life the better.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, and I most likely won't need to play anything better looking than CSGO. I'll save the heavy stuff for my PC.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Photoshop / Illustrator is a must, if it was able to render alright with Adobe Premiere that would be cool but I can do that on my home PC already so i don't really need it.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500GB at least. I've got 2TB full at home already, i'm a bad self-aware hoarder.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I work at best buy, so I also get an employee discount if you can find anything good there. Otherwise, doesn't matter to me, as long as it has normal US shipping.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
as long as possible. if it can't last AT LEAST over 3 years it's not worth my money.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD Rom would be best. I can live without it, but it'd be nice.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Good:
Dell - i've heard they make dependable products
Acer - have had a few products of theirs, heard they're dependable
Lenovo: lot of discussion on /g/ about this brand lol. must be good.

Bad:
HP: just heard bad things. prove me wrong if you'd like.
Asus: ^

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

- an SSD would be awesome. I have one on my PC and i love how fast it boots.
- A touch screen would be a BIG plus. I hate trackpads and I don't want to carry a mouse everywhere. would be willing to pay extra for that if it came to it.
- i'll be using Windows 7 on it, so if it comes with that, great. otherwise i'll be downgrading. Screw 8 and 10.
-a nice keyboard is a plus. I am not a fan of keyboards like the Microsoft Surface keyboard, where there's almost 0 tactile feedback and you don't know what you're pressing.
-if you have any other questions, please let me know. I just appreciate the help in any way. Any general info I could get about laptops and what to look for would be great too, thank you!

Solution
A day of use is tough, especially for anything you can play games on. You'd want a slower low voltage processor and onboard graphics.

ASUS X205, Asus Zenbook UX305, Lenovo X250, Dell XPS 13 (you can skip the touch to save a bit). None of them will handle games very well but all have good battery life.

A day of use is tough, especially for anything you can play games on. You'd want a slower low voltage processor and onboard graphics.

ASUS X205, Asus Zenbook UX305, Lenovo X250, Dell XPS 13 (you can skip the touch to save a bit). None of them will handle games very well but all have good battery life.

Solution