College / Very moderate gaming laptop ($800~)

street1030

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
First, there are other threads asking almost the same thing but couldnt find enough answers to make a decision SO I'll ask the community with details pertaining to a machine that I'm looking for.

This laptop will be strictly for school and when I need to go to a LAN. I already have a gaming desktop so I'm not looking for something extremely powerful and overpriced. Just something that can run games decently.

1. What is your budget?

$800 USD

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want?

720p - 1080p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?

A good few hours would be nice but I'll be able to plug it in most of the time.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes I would like to play games on this laptop but only on medium settings.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Coding, word processing, internet, games.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

320GB~

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

www.newegg.com
www.tigerdirect.com
www.bestbuy.com

any others you suggest

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

2 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD ready/writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

The good ones.

13. What country do you live in?

United States

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Just looking for something that can run games OK not something that will beast through them. This is only for college and occasional gaming (once a weekish). Already have a gaming desktop! :D

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
How do u think about this ASUS K52JT-XT1 Intel Core i7 15.6" Laptop, 4GB/500GB/Win 7 $759.00?
http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?type=id&q=d255770&ru=28905954
Nice specs. Great price. It might meet your needs well. Hope u find the best bet.

outdated and probably cant play most games on ever medium settings.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6370M.40970.0.html

a little more but a big leap in performance
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246094

street1030

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I've been keeping up with desktop parts but when it comes to laptops I have no clue about this stuff.

That asus looks decent but I'm willing to fork over the few extra bucks for the lenovo for the extra performance. I was looking at the asus ones earlier but all the ones i looked at were really bulky looking. Any others around this price range I should know about?