Comcast To Offer 50 Mbps Service

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
250GB is 2000Gb guys, that's a god awful amount of data. Get your bits and bytes sorted, then start the bitching.

It's real simple to figure out, a gigabyte is 8 gigabits, or use google and enter "250 gigabytes to gigabits"

GB is gigabyte Gb or gb is gigabits, all internet bandwidth is measured in gigabits NOT gigabytes (like your harddrive and memory use). So if Comcast means GB for it's cap, you shouldn't worry.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
250GB is not enough. All of the TV shows I watch are downloaded. All of the movies I watch are streamed or downloaded. All of the games I buy are through Steam. And I'm not the only person using my network connection. I alone often use 300+GB a month, with my roommate we probably are averaging over 450GB a month.

Mind you, my ISP has a 60GB download cap, but I've been downloading more than that every month for the past 5 years and I haven't heard anything from them about it.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
[citation][nom]thefamily00[/nom]Everyone forgets, it's NOT 250GB PER PERSON. It's 250GB PER ACCOUNT. How many people live in your house? How many people use the internet? And do you have a wireless router that others use? Ahhh.....Remember, at the current speed, 10mpbs x 60 seconds x 60 minutes =3.6 GB per hour.One day? 86 GB[/citation]

I think you forgot the conversion from Mb to GB. 10Mbps x 60sec. x 60min. = 36,000 gigabits (Gb) per hour, or 4.5 gigabytes (GB) per hour. 1 byte = 8 bits. At non-stop full blast, you can download 108GB in 24 hrs. So at 50Mbps, you can download 22.3GB in one hour, or 540GB per day.

@Michaelahess, no-one uses bits as a unit of data within that context. Hard drives are measured in bytes, ans so is almost everything else. Bits are usually used only in reference ti data transfer speed. So, 250GB is not comparatively that much anymore. It's still alot, but not as much as it once was.

Status
Not open for further replies.