Question commercial blackmail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2021
Never could figure out how perfectly working phones really depend on the manufacturer to allow them to wok on a Carrier with a SIM chip, and are not totally independent of the brand, are phone calls and SMS's ALL routed through the brand rather than the carrier...my Z30 works perfectly fine on 4G / LTE...this is crazy that they can put a stop to that just because...

Dec 28, 2021
Never could figure out how perfectly working phones really depend on the manufacturer to allow them to wok on a Carrier with a SIM chip, and are not totally independent of the brand, are phone calls and SMS's ALL routed through the brand rather than the carrier...my Z30 works perfectly fine on 4G / LTE...this is crazy that they can put a stop to that just because...
Can the manufacturer just stop your carrier service dead in its tracks because they 'Don't support the operating system on BB10 OS? What has that got to do with 4G/LTE services anyway? A phone is a phone...doesn't the frequency and Band determine that?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The decision to support obsolete hardware/software, or not, is a corporate decision. Especially in terms of cybersecurity and potential legal liability.

If you really want to continue using the BBY I suppose you could change to one of the BYOD services. Make sure they support the device first though.

Dec 28, 2021
The decision to support obsolete hardware/software, or not, is a corporate decision. Especially in terms of cybersecurity and potential legal liability.

If you really want to continue using the BBY I suppose you could change to one of the BYOD services. Make sure they support the device first though.
Been doing the BYOD thing for years now....love it that way...nothing wrong with the way it works....just a phone is all I need, don't care if maps, emails or sms don't work anymore...

Reactions: COLGeek
Can the manufacturer just stop your carrier service dead in its tracks because they 'Don't support the operating system on BB10 OS? What has that got to do with 4G/LTE services anyway? A phone is a phone...doesn't the frequency and Band determine that?

Manufacturer, no, once the phone is out of the factory they don't control what the carrier or operating system vendor does with it.

If you are talking about certain cell bands not working,, that is the thing with progress and advancements in tech. At some point there is so little use of an older infrastructure that supporting it or keeping up with security issues is not worth it. Plus new security methods and processing power for newer apps and OS simply make the hardware obsolete

For older folks this may seen really unfair and happening too fast because before computers and instruments in general got very advanced, progress took a while. I mean the land line phone lasted for a hundred years as the main communication device but the move from 1G to 5G in phones was 40 years, 3G to 5G was about 20, and now the 3G phones are obsolete. TVs, same thing, standard def TVs lasted a long time, but the HD TVs to 4k TVs and broadcasts was barely a dozen years. Kids born after about the year 2000 seen to take changing platforms ever few years with a lot less complaining LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.