Solved! Compaq Presario CQ57 Specific Keys Aren't Responding

Nov 14, 2018
Namely the y, t, left tab, left ctrl, brightness up.

My issue came and went over a couple of years. I have always been able to press Space Bar simultaneously to make them work, but even that has ceased helping. I've cleaned the keys of any grime, and made sure the port/pins were clear of all obstruction and aligned. Also uninstalled touchpad driver and restarted which re-installs it.

All solutions welcome.

Compaq Presario CQ57
Windows 7 64bit

Solution
You say you uninstalled the touchpad driver, but that wouldn't effect the keyboard. Try the following...

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting/reconnecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

Additionally, if your device uses one, you may want to try updating the Synaptics Driver if the above doesn't help.

You may also want to check the device for malware, viruses, etc., which can interfere with normal operation.
You say you uninstalled the touchpad driver, but that wouldn't effect the keyboard. Try the following...

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting/reconnecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

Additionally, if your device uses one, you may want to try updating the Synaptics Driver if the above doesn't help.

You may also want to check the device for malware, viruses, etc., which can interfere with normal operation.

Solution
Nov 14, 2018
I tried all the above, but no luck. I have good malware defenses, and the only Synaptics driver I could find was presumably for the touchpad. Because the issue seemed to have semi-gradually escalated, I think it may be damaged or aged hardware, and maybe not software-related.

I do appreciate you trying to help, though.